Dishwasher drain [horizontal or vertical]

Old 07-18-14, 02:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher drain [horizontal or vertical]

Hello,

Had sink changed while back ago and old dishwasher removed.

Getting new dishwasher and noticed that new pipes put under sink and missing DW drain.

Some questions:

1. See first photo: Need to put in DW drain: Is the best location vertical [Green or Red sketch?] or horizontal drain [Blue; this is what hardware store suggested and neighbor has as well].

Vertical: Link to branch tailpiece Plumb Pak Slip Joint Branch Tailpiece at Lowe's Canada
Horizontal: Link to Y fitting Dishwasher Wye at Lowe's Canada

Horizontal would mean cutting and gluing [?yellow ABS glue] whereas hardware store has vertical DW drain piece I believe I could simply slip in [say right sink] by unscrewing the Grey drain hose [Am I correct in thinking this?]

2. Do get soap from one sink coming up in other sink at times so would DW drain make this worse?

Suggestions to fix soap coming up in opposite sink?

3. See second photo: The DW will be right of sink. There are already two holes in the cabinet. Would the hot water supply go from the bottom and drain hose from the top as sketched?

4. This DW will be hard wired. Any issues to look for or is it same colored wires together and ground around screw? Would putting an outlet be better? Do have dedicated breaker switch for DW.

Thanks!!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-14, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
You may have to use the blue method as there might not be enough room to get the tailpiece in at the green marked area. Either one should work ok.

The drain hose definitely needs to run up high from the machine before connecting to the drain.

My machine is hardwired but I installed a single pole switch below the sink to turn power off before servicing. A receptacle and plug is also an acceptable method of connection.