Kenmore Elite bottom mount refrigertor does not make ice

Old 07-19-14, 11:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Elite bottom mount refrigertor does not make ice

model 59676053702

The ejector arm seems to be pointed in the wrong direction (to the left and slightly up rather than to the right and towards / into the freezing area), which according to a youtube video is a dead give away that the icemaker needs to be replaces. I thought I would confirm this here and perhaps get thoughts for troubleshooting I could do.

I have tried without success the following:
-Unplugging for 10 minutes to reset the computers
-made sure there are no kinks in the water line
-manually added water to the icemaker
-tried locate the LED lights to see the blinking pattern, as suggested in this forun for other models of kenmore elite refrigerators, but I could not locate them. Are they present on my model?
-I also saw a suggestion to make sure the water line wasn't frozen, but wasn't sure how to do this or how to thaw it out without just unplugging the whole this for a day and having everything spoil. Any suggestions here?

Is there anything else I should be looking into?

Thanks for any ideas you can share!

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-14, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You don't have bin full LED's on your unit.

If that "bin full" arm is not in the correct place the unit won't make ice. I can't quite picture where it's currently pointed but it needs to swivel out and over the ice bin so that it senses when the bin is full. If it's bent it needs to be corrected.

The link below shows your ice maker in an exploded view. The bin full arm may have just come unattached from the internal switch.

KENMORE ELITE Bottom-Mount Refrigerator Icemaker Parts | Model 59676053702 | SearsPartsDirect

The ice maker part # W10190978. Google that part number to find online locations to purchase it. I've bought several from eBay for $45. Several years and still going strong.

A video if you want to pull the icemaker apart and check out that arm mounting.
You tube /watch?v=VCUgA5T5ASw

Old 07-21-14, 06:37 PM
J
Thanks for the info PJmax! The diagram and video are both great and answered many of my concerns about taking the unit apart.

The indicator that I am concerned about isn't the bin full arm, but rather the harvester (as it is called in the video, or just the arm as it is called in the diagram). it is not pointed in the same direction as the harvester is in the beginning of the video, and a random video i found on youtube via a google search indicates that this is a dead giveaway that the icemaker needs replaced. Armed this your video I now feel a lot more confident taking it apart tomorrow and see of that is really the case.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes,

JeffA

Old 08-21-14, 05:48 PM
L
Question my ice maker wand won't go down...any suggestion please help

I have a kenmore fridge ...the ice maker in the bottom freezer, the wand will not go down...any sugestion to what I can do? Please help

Old 08-21-14, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

These ice makers are a little tricky to diagnose.

Was it making ice and then just stopped ?
By wand.... do you mean the arm that monitors the ice bin or the rake, the part that pushes the cubes out of the tray ?