Kenmore series 80 spin problems

Old 08-05-14, 07:12 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore series 80 spin problems

I had a similar issue with a Kenmore Series 80, where it wasnt spinning well and clothes were wet. Based on forum info, I replaced the clutch, and for a good measure while I was in there the motor coupler. Ran fine for two loads, was spinning like a new machine. When the wife ran the third load, there was a loud clicking noise at start of the spin cycle and no spinning, no water draining. Upon switching off the washer, the agitator spun freely in either direction.

Upon taking the machine apart again, the brand new brake cam driver that came with the new clutch is broken- sheared off. The gear box shaft turns freely in either direction. Looking at the motor coupler before I took it apart again noted that the coupler is turning freely when the spin cycle runs.

Before I replace the clutch again, any ideas on what may have caused the new brake driver to break?

Thanks all!

BTW Kenmore model 110.24872300

Separated from..... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...n-agitate.html

Last edited by PJmax; 08-05-14 at 08:08 PM. Reason: New thread
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-14, 02:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Never have seen one of those broken. Either you got the clutch in the wrong place (turned to wrong spot) or the basket drive dropped down and you did not push it back up before installing transmission. After installing cam turn cam and release brakes and push basket drive back up to get it into place. did you replace top seal in transmission ? If not you will have a slipping clutch again.
Just though of something else that may have happened but not very likely. Something may have gotten between basket and tub causing a drag which would slow spin and may have have broken basket drive. Have worked on those washers over 10 tears and never seen one broken.

Last edited by pugsl; 08-06-14 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 04:58 AM
T
Thank you for the advice. I rewatched some other videos that discuss how the basket drive and clutch need to be positioned on the install, it is possible I did not do this correctly. Is it reasonable to test this out using the old driver, or should I get the clutch kit again in order to get a new driver? (Got a big pile of wet soapy clothes to deal with, so I kind of need to get it back in service ASAP)

Finally I have not replaced the top seal- is this the correct part ? Is there anything special about the install?
Maytag Washing Machine Seal 91939 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your assistance and advice!

Tom S

Old 08-06-14, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you still have the old one? I hardly ever replaced that part as never seemed necessary. If you have old use that one. Seal looks like the right one and there are several videos on how to replace it. Google whirlpool transmission repair.

Old 08-07-14, 07:04 AM
T
Yes, I had the cam driver on 180 degrees off where it should have been, so it was probably hitting the spring on the basket drive. I did not inspect it carefully enough, I assume the holes and shape that were inset into the drive would have kept me from being an idiot, but that was not the case!

Most important thing was to get it back in service, I still want to go back and do the seal, but I have to confess that I am still not 100% sure on what i need to do there.

Thanks again for your advice!

Old 08-07-14, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, Check for a oil streak about 6 inches up inside cabinet, if there you need the seal.