GE fridge/freezer not cooling enough

Old 08-10-14, 05:42 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE fridge/freezer not cooling enough

Hello all, please help! I have a 7 year old GE French door refrigerator on top of a freezer. The model number is pfs22sisss. Both the freezer and refrigerator is loosing it's cool. It started about 5 days ago and has recently gotten worse. I have removed the grill on the back and exposed the fan, coils, and larger black cylinder, maybe an engine?. Their is absolutely no sign of ice anywhere. In fact, everything is fairly hot. The fan is running but not at a high speed by any sense. Also, I have removed all dust and that has not helped. Please advise!

Last edited by PJmax; 08-10-14 at 12:07 PM. Reason: removed board added link
Old 08-10-14, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you cleaned and vacuumed the coils and the fan under the fridge ?

Old 08-13-14, 03:35 PM
G
PJMax, I do not believe I have a fan under my fridge. Here is a diagram of all the parts to my specific model: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/sto...ly/PFS22SISBSS
I see only the fan in the bottom back, which I have cleaned. The temperature always gets fairly close to normal temperatures over night but come days end, its is 10 degrees over in the fridge due to opening the door throughout the day. It is struggling to keep cold.

Old 08-13-14, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
That is the fan I was referring to and pictorial part 82 is the coil you need to clean.

Name:  getImage.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  46.6 KB

Old 08-15-14, 04:39 PM
G
Yes I have cleaned that fan and the coil. I also used some compressed air to really make sure the job was done right.

The last 24 hours has been much of the same. It cooled back down over night and by this evening it is 9 degrees over again. Could it be possible that my compressor is failing slowly? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

George

Old 08-15-14, 10:20 PM
Group Moderator
There is a start/overload relay on the compressor. That part can go bad and you'll usually hear a rhythmic click coming from the compressor area.

Does your compressor appear to run all the time ?
Do the temperature controls seem to work..... will the box get colder ?

Your fridge has an electronic control board with remote thermistors to monitor temperatures. Thermistor failure is fairly common. They can be checked for resistance at the main control board. You would need a VOM (volt ohmmeter) for testing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: