GE chest freezer gets very hot

Old 08-12-14, 11:33 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE chest freezer gets very hot

Hello;
I wonder if anyone here is familiar with fridge/freezer technology. I bought a GE chest freezer 3 years ago and I now notice that the outside wall (the one above the compressor) is so hot that I can only lay my hand on it for a few minutes (maybe 120F). The unit is on it's lowest setting because it's very efficient.
Obviously this means that the unit is working harder to keep the inside (separated by an inch of foam) cold.
Are there some troubleshooting tips that I can use to help figure out if the compressor is not working properly?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 01:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
I'm do not understand the logic of turning it to it's coldest setting just because it's efficient. Doing that forces it to run more than needed. If the inside of the freezer is frozen hard and the side on the outside is hot than that's an indication that the compressor is working. It's probably working too much because of your thermostat setting.

I would turn the temp control to the middle of the range. After a week take the temperature inside the freezer or check to see if your items are still frozen hard.

Old 08-12-14, 03:28 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most of the super efficient freezers are efficient because they have a compressor that is too small. This requires the compressor to run more often which keep the surrounding area nice and toasty. I'd measure the temps inside the freezer and adjust the setting accordingly to what you like.

Old 08-12-14, 04:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
I forgot to mention that many chest freezers do not have exposed coils like you might see on the back or underneath a fridge. They are run in the walls and use the metal exterior skin as a heat sink so feeling the outside hot is by design and may not indicate a problem.

Old 08-12-14, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The unit is on it's lowest setting because it's very efficient.
Lowest setting means the coldest setting. I think you meant to say it's on the lowest number which is the warmest setting.

Good answers above. What you set the temperature in your freezer for depends on what you are storing. Long term storage requires 0f or lower..... -10f is even better.