Kenmore Dryer Timer Problem No Solution

Old 08-12-14, 04:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Dryer Timer Problem No Solution

I'm stumped, I'm working on a 500 series Kenmore Dryer Model number: 11069522800, I've replaced the non resettable fuse # 3392519 and internal bias temp switch # 3387134. That fixed the operation problem; however a new one exists which is most likely the route of the fuse and temp going bad; When you set the timer in any of the cycle positions for example the timed dry cycle. It will run through the cycle and shut off like normal however the timer does NOT stop running. It will cycle around the dial continuesly with out stopping turning the heater element on and off as it cycles through the dial. The drum does NOT turn on unless hitting the start button. I've tested the BK and R terminals on the switch and they are operating normally, I've also tested the heater element and I am getting 10 ohms across the red and orange wired terminals however I'm getting a 5 ohms of resistance when I touch the body of the elemement box (grounding out) Not sure if this would be an accurate test as its still installed in the unit. It seems like the timer motor in the timer itself is not shutting off but I can't find a testing procedure to determine if the timer itself is faulty can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's been a while but I had a similar problem. Sorry I can't remember all the exact details right now, but it turned out to be the stupid contacts on the start switch had welded together. As I remember, when you opened the door at the end of a cycle, the drum motor wouldn't start again, because of a different relay that was de-energized by opening the door, but the timer would sit there and tick away.

I finally traced out the schematic and eliminated every other part by what worked and what didn't. Just couldn't believe it could be that simple, but a continuity check said otherwise.

Not saying that's your problem, but it's a simple check to eliminate.

Old 08-12-14, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Gunguy Has a good idea. Check continuity on push to start switch, with button not pushed should open

Old 08-13-14, 06:32 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If timer runs after motor has shut off, then one of the motor's centrifugal switches is stuck closed. Also sounds like your heater coil is grounded. Disconnect heater wires and do test to ground again. Motor switch is not replaceable, must replace the motor.