Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Frosting Up Frequently

Old 08-13-14, 05:19 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Frosting Up Frequently

I have a four year old Whirlpool Gold refrigerator with bottom mount freezer and have had to defrost it three times in the past month. I cleaned the freezer seal, but that has not helped. I also cleaned the fridge seal just today and it still takes very little effort to pull open the fridge. The freezer feels pretty tight. It is fine for about a week or so, then I start to see signs of humidity in the fridge randomly. Just this morning when opening the fridge, there was a lot of condensation on the shelves. I then checked the freezer and there was even more condensation and frost forming. I just checked again and there is no condensation in the fridge or freezer. Now that I provided some background, the question is will a bad fridge seal cause the freezer to frost up?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
If the air is very humid then bad seals can cause the freezer to frost up and the inside of the fridge to be wet.

A four year old Whirlpool fridge should be using adaptive defrost technology. That means they use a temperature sensor to monitor the coil temp. When the compressor is running the coil is very cold. As soon as the compressor shuts off the temperature of the coil rises. It should rise above the temp of ice. If it doesn't..... the control board knows that there is ice on the coil and it's time to defrost. It tells the compressor to shut off and for the defrost element to come on.

The defrost element has it's own thermostat attached to the evaporator coil and monitors the heating process. The more ice that's on the coil.... the colder the coil...... the longer the defrost element stays on. The board monitors the "on" time of the heating element and based on how often the thermostat cycles it computes how long the entire process needs to last.

The control board also stores how often it needs to defrost based on how long it took to defrost on previous cycles and how often the fridge needs to be defrosted. That's how they get the name "adaptive technology". The control board learns the operating parameters of the fridge and adapts to them.

In your case... you may have a bad defrost element or a bad defrost thermostat so that when it goes to defrost..... nothing happens or only a partial defrost.

Old 08-13-14, 06:28 PM
M
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like one of several things could be wrong. I'll start with the seals. Come to think of it, last time I had the fridge pulled away from the wall, I noticed water damage on the wood floor underneath. Perhaps the fridge is defrosting so often that the collection tray underneath the fridge is overflowing.

Old 08-13-14, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Perhaps the fridge is defrosting so often that the collection tray underneath the fridge is overflowing.
That is a possibility. ...........................................

Old 08-13-14, 06:51 PM
M
Model number is GB2SHDXTS02. New seal for fridge door only is $85! Guess its worth it though. FYI, I did the business card test on the fridge seal and it pulls out with very little effort.