Whirlpool Conquest ice dispenser not working

Old 08-14-14, 11:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Conquest ice dispenser not working

I have a Whirlpool Conquest, and I have a problem with the ice dispenser.

Here's what works: ice maker works. Water dispenser works.

What doesn't work: Won't dispense ice, either cubes or crushed. When I press the button to dispense, there's a motor sound, but nothing comes out.

Suggestions for fixing or troubleshooting?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Ref. guys will be in soon but most likely will need model #

Old 08-14-14, 01:38 PM
S
pugsl, thanks kindly for the quick reply.

Of course, silly me...the model is given on the sticker inside the refrigerator as:

MOD. ED5LTAXVL00

I'm not certain of the last two digits are zeros or the letter "O".

Old 08-14-14, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
You have the model number correct.

It appears that there is an issue with the either the hexagon shaft rounding off. It can be caused by a plastic door panel that flexes or warps and the ice bin doesn't reconnect with the drive motor.

Pictorial part 26 is the hex shaft. Check and see if yours is rounded off.

WHIRLPOOL Refrigerator Motor and ice container Parts | Model ED5LTAXVL00 | Sears Parts Direct

Old 08-15-14, 09:00 AM
S
PJmax, thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

So, do I access this shaft from the front of the refrigerator, by removing the dispenser cover?

Secondly, if I may ask a semi-unrelated question, I cannot seem to remove the ice bin. I depress the button on the right-hand side of the bin, and for the life of me I cannot remove/lift the bin. Any suggestions on that topic?

Thanks again.

Old 08-16-14, 12:14 AM
Group Moderator
You should be able to see where the shaft engages the bin. That point comes apart when door is opened.

Name:  bin.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 08-16-14, 12:14 PM
S
PJmax, so you're saying that I can inspect the shaft if I simply remove the bin, right?

Now, if I could only get the bin removed. It seems to be caught on something.

Thanks again for replying.

Old 08-16-14, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
I'm trying to remember exactly what you'll see. If you look at the link I left above and click on view large image under the diagram.... it'll open in a new page and when you click on it.. it will expand full page.

Old 08-16-14, 03:41 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I have the same ice maker and fridge. Just underneath the button you push to release the ice tray is a void that you can stick your fingers in. If you jiggle the handle while you have a finger in you will feel that there is a plastic bar setting horizontal to the door side of the ice bin that will slide to the left to unlock. Basically there are two stub outs that have a slit on the left side. The horizontal bar locks the bin in place. Moving the bar to the left will unlock the bin. If your button is not functioning, it may be that it is not engaging the bar to unlock. Once you get the bin loose, I suspect that there is a frozen ice jam in the shoot that dispenses the ice. It happened to me once. Flush with some warm water or hit it with a hair dryer to loosen.

Old 08-16-14, 06:00 PM
S
PJmax, I'm able to see both images you referred me to, the first one being the Motor and Ice Container diagram and the second being the instructions for removing the bin.

I was asking for clarification as to how to get the view of the hexagon shaft. I think you're saying that I can see the hexagon shaft if I remove the ice bin. Is that right?

Old 08-16-14, 06:05 PM
S
czizzi, thanks very much for the reply.

Sorry, but I'm having difficulty understanding your description.

I know what void you are talking about, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'handle'.

Regarding 'horizontal bar', you are talking about the assembly that it attached to the release button, right? That bar moves when I press the release button.

Just now, I removed all of the ice from the ice bin and exposed the hole/slot in the bottom of the bin that feeds into the grinder. I don't see any ice jamming it up.

Old 08-16-14, 06:30 PM
S
I've made some major progress.

I worked at the ice bin and finally got it to release. There was ice plugged between the bin and the area below it, as czizzi suggested, and this was preventing the bin from releasing.

I removed the jammed ice, and the ice dispenser now works.

Now, I just have to figure out where the spring goes that was under the ice bin when I removed it.....I think it probably goes on the shaft that's attached to the release button.

Thanks for your help, guys!!

Old 08-16-14, 06:34 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Horizontal bar is not in the ice bin, it is in void just under the button on the right side of the bin. The green/blue button when pushed, slides a horizontal bar over that releases the bin.

Name:  100_001a.jpg
Views: 3112
Size:  33.5 KB

You can see the horizontal bar and the returns that engage the lock mechanism. It is located in the bottom portion of the picture with the blue/green button to the right. Slide the horizontal bar over to release the bin.

Old 08-16-14, 07:33 PM
S
czizzi, nice photo!

Our last two posts may have crossed.... I was able to remove the bin after I shook it sufficiently to break up the hunk of ice that jammed between the bin and the area below the bin.