Kenmore 106.9552610 icemaker not working properly.

Old 08-14-14, 05:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kenmore 106.9552610 icemaker not working properly.

I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106 9552610. My icemaker is not working properly. The mold fills with water. It freezes and the mold heater heats up, but the fingers either don't move the ice at all or the ice only moves half way then freezes so the fingers can no longer move. I can heat the ice up with a hair dryer and the fingers will push the ice on out and return to their 2 oclock home position.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved you to your own thread as your problem is different then in the thread you posted in.

Are you sure your mold heater is actually working ?
Possibly it's not staying on long enough.

Old 08-14-14, 06:07 PM
D
I'm sure it's working. It will burn my fingers. It quite possibly not be staying on long enough, earlier this evening I happened to catch it as the heater just starting getting hot and the fingers just barely moved the ice just slightly before the heater went off. I heated the ice up with a blow dryer and the fingers pushed the ice on out. They stopped in home position. Tray filled with water. I checked it again later and found that it had tried to harvest again. The fingers pushed the ice about halfway out of the mold this time, but got stuck. Heated ice with blow dryer again and it completed it's cycle. Waited about 30 to 45 mins and it again ice was only pushed out about halfway.

Old 08-14-14, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The harvest cycle on these ice makers is thermostatically triggered. A thermostat inside the ice maker head is pressed against the ice mold. When the mold gets down to about 17 degrees, the thermostat closes and starts the drive motor, and energizes the mold heater. Very shortly thereafter, a cam on the drive shaft closes the holding switch, keeping the motor circuit energized even after the thermostat opens back up. The shaft rotates clockwise until the ejection fingers press against the ice. The motor then stalls, with the ejection fingers applying pressure to the ice, until the mold heats up enough for the cubes to separate from the mold. The fingers then continue pushing the ice out of the mold.

It would appear that the thermostat is opening too soon and the mold heater isn't staying on long enough.

In the link below is your ice maker parts list. Pictorial #27 is the thermostat. It can be replaced in your unit. The actual part number is 627985. Use this number to shop around.

KENMORE Side By Side Refrigerator Icemaker Parts | Model 1069552610 | Sears Parts Direct

Another location to obtain part plus a parts replacement video.
Whirlpool 627985 Icemaker Cycling Thermostat - Appliance Parts Pros

You can also shop for a replacement ice maker. Generic replacement units.... like from eBay can be had for around $50.00

Old 08-14-14, 07:15 PM
D
Since my last post the icemaker has gone threw 2 cycles without an issue. I didn't catch the 1st cycle in progress, but the 2nd time I watched it push the ice completely out, return to home position and refill with water. To my knowledge this is the 1st time it's cycled 2 times back to back without a problem since Sunday. If it acts up anymore I will get the replacement part you suggested and see what happens after that. Luckily I work for a company that produces ice so I've not had to go out and buy ice trays.