Bosch Side by Side Refrigerator Compressor Cycling

Old 08-15-14, 06:27 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bosch Side by Side Refrigerator Compressor Cycling

I have had a Bosch B22CS30SNS for three years now and it has been nothing but trouble. We have had the compressor and both control boards replaced - the extended warranty was the best money we ever spent.

My question is about the compressor control. When I asked the technician he said that the compressor will run until the temperature is satisfied.

I have been monitoring the refrigerator temperature with a USB recording thermometer and what I have seen is that the temperature cycles with the temperature decreasing and then increasing before decreasing again. If graphed it makes a sawtooth pattern (see attachment) where I would of expected the compressor to just continue to run and run until it reaches the desired temperatures. The compressor sounds like it is turning on and off to match the temperature observations that I am making.

I thought that it could be the compressor overheating and cutting out. As an experiment I pulled the refrigerator completely out from the cabinets and set a box fan to blow on the compressor for a few days and it did not change the temperature profile at all. Also, the cycle that I am observing is very regular - almost exactly 50 minutes all day long - day to day. I don't think that points to a high temperature cut off since that would be more variable - right?

I have cleaned the condenser, checked the condenser fan operation, checked the door gaskets and made sure that food was not blocking the air flow in the freezer and refrigerator.

Temperature control has been OK - it takes a long time for the refrigerator to get down to temperature when the door has been open for a long time but it does get there eventually.

So - is this normal compressor operation for a Bosch side-by-side. (or side-by-sides in general)? If not, what do you suspect I should check next?

Thank you for your help!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Bosch 20140811.rec.pdf (13.1 KB, 107 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-14, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
My question is about the compressor control. When I asked the technician he said that the compressor will run until the temperature is satisfied.
That is correct. It looks like the compressor has a 50 minute "on time" to normally return the box to temperature. That would be pretty much normal. Some only run 35 minutes. It also depends on the size of the unit and how much product is in it.

According to the graph..... the temperature is being held within a 2 degree or so differential. I'd say your fridge is pretty much acting normally.