Kenmore Ice maker- water signal problem

Old 08-20-14, 02:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kenmore Ice maker- water signal problem

Hello, I have a Kenmore Coldspot Model 106.55524400 and I'm having issues getting the IM to fill up with water. I thought it was the valve system so I replaced that, still have the issue though. The water dispenser on the door works, so the water feed is ok. I took out the IM and placed a jumper between the black and brown wire to send voltage to the IM water valve, but I'm only reading around 74 volts at the valve. I'm getting 120 volts between black and white at the plug in the freezer where the jumper is. I also tried replacing the IM optic control boards and I still can't get it to fill with water. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Travis

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-14, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Moved post to it's own thread. Ref. guys will be in later

Old 08-20-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You checked and measured 120vac at the ice maker receptacle. Did you try measuring the same voltage when jumping to the water valve ?

If the voltage sags when the valve is energized then the optic boards have an issue.

Did the ice maker ever make ice ?

Old 08-21-14, 03:51 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Check that your ice maker line is not frozen solid with water. When mine went, I changed out the water supply valve but could not get flow to the maker. I could hear it call for water, but zilch. I removed the ice maker, hit the fill tube long and hard with a hair dryer. I also alternated going to the back and blowing air through the fill tube. Eventually the clog melted. If you disconnect the fill tube at the supply and can not blow air easily through, it is frozen.

Old 08-21-14, 07:48 AM
T
Thanks for the input guys. My ice line is not frozen, I've even tried removing the line so that water would come directly out of the valve, but still no water. I replaced the optics board, but I was still seeing the same issue, and yes the IM was making ice, but stopped randomly. The valve never gets energized because it's not seeing the 120VAC, it's only seeing around 74VAC when I jumper it.

Thanks,
Travis

Old 08-25-14, 03:12 PM
T
Hey guys, I was just wanting to know if anyone else had some input or suggestions they could offer to help me try to figure out the problem for my ice maker?

Thanks,
Travis

Old 08-25-14, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
You have a four terminal plug/receptacle where the ice machine plugs into the fridge.
You should have 120vac, neutral, ground and valve.

Do you have one terminal that measure 120v there ?
That voltage should disappear when the optic system is blocked.

Carefully connect the 120v to the valve line and remeasure the voltage at this point. Is it still 120vac ?

Old 08-30-14, 09:29 AM
T
I'm reading 105VAC between black to white and black to brown(valve), 0VAC between white to brown when the sensor is blocked. With it not blocked, I'm getting the same readings. Also, when I put the jumper between the black and brown, I'm reading 0VAC between black/brown to white.

Thanks,
Travis

Old 08-30-14, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
You should be getting 120vac solid at the four pin plug..... you are not.

It appears that you may have a corroded or loose connection. When you measured in your first post you had 120v at the IM. Now you have 105v. Check from the black wire to the fridge case or ground.

A digital meter will usually read correct voltages right thru a corroded connection since it is a very sensitive meter. When you load the wiring..... with the fill valve..... it's dropping down.

We need to find out if it's a neutral problem or a hot problem.

Old 09-05-14, 04:21 PM
T
I still have the IM completely out of the freezer and there's just the four pin plug hanging there. I checked between the black and green wires and I'm reading 107VAC. I also read 107VAC between the black and the fridge case, so I think the ground is ok. There must be some issue with the hot wire. Is there a way I can check that?

Thanks,
Travis

Old 09-05-14, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Basically we're back to the optic board.

Check out the following thread. I explain the voltages and how to test the optic board.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...r-problem.html