Leaky fridge

Old 08-21-14, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky fridge

Hi all, Another interesting one here. This is concerning a Frigidaire professional series side by side counter depth fridge that is approx. 6-7 years old. I'm sorry but I don't know the model # off hand. The unit is all stainless with the water and ice in the door with 7 control buttons at the top of the ice/water access area. The unit also has temp display and controls at the top of the inside of the fridge side. The problem is that when I pulled the unit out for a little cleaning behind it, I noticed a small rust spot...(about the size of a 1/2 dollar)...on the back of the freezer side of the unit about 2 inches from the right hand edge...(looking at the unit from the back). The spot is slightly higher than 1/2 way up from the bottom of the unit. The spot is not leaking badly, but it is more or less "Seeping" enough fluid...(prob water)... so as it runs down the back of the unit. It appears that it is leaking so slowly that most of the fluid is evaporating before it reaches the floor. Obviously any leaking situation is no good no matter how slow it is. Was wondering if anyone has ran across this problem before ?? As with probably all newer fridges these days, there is no way to access the back of the fridge by removing any type of back cover as it is all sealed. It does however look like you may be able to access part of the suspected area by removing a back cover inside the freezer area. But of course this means emptying the freezer and removing ice maker and everything else in the way which in turn means losing all your frozen food if you don't have access to dry ice. Anyway, before going through all that hassle, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...and thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-14, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
There is usually a plastic tube that runs from the evaporator coil to a storage/evaporation pan under the fridge. When the unit defrost the water runs thru the tube to the pan. If the line gets plugged with crud then the water can run anywhere.

This type of repair requires the freezer to be shut off, the cover removed from the cold coil and the drain at the bottom of the low area under the coil to be clean and flushed.

With a model number I can leave you actual diagrams.

Old 08-22-14, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the input PJ. Makes good sense, but I'm afraid that the seeping leak in the back of the fridge is above the evaporator. I removed the lower inside (evaporator) cover, and removed the bottom screws in the upper cover....this allowed me to at least "Curl" up the lower portion of the inside cover as it is extremely flimsy. Needless to say the leak seems to be coming out of the rusty spot in back about 4-5 inches above the evaporator and its workings. There is no access to where the leak is going through the back even from inside the fridge with the vap cover removed and top cover pulled up and out of the way. Just my luck. I can only assume that this leak must be coming somewhere up top and inside the back where the water makes its transition from line to filler tube. Possibly the fill tube....etc. And it appears that the only way to access that area is to remove the ice maker and all other hardware in that area. Keep in mind that this water is seeping through about 1/2 way (maybe higher) up the fridge from the bottom. Is there anything else that could be that high up in the unit that could cause this other than the ice maker and its parts. I've dealt with leaking fridges before...the usual stuff....but never had one leak like this. Anyway....thanks again...and the model # for this fridge is.....PHSC39EHSS2.

Old 08-22-14, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... now that I have your model number I can see the evaporator is in the bottom.

If it was an ice maker supply issue you would probably have more water. It sounds like an air leak and causing condensation inside the cabinet.

A link with some views of your fridge.
FRIGIDAIRE Refrigerator Parts | Model PHSC39EHSS2 | SearsPartsDirect

Old 08-22-14, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the link Joe but I'm pretty sure the "leak" is above these parts.

We're calling it a leak but it doesn't appear to be a leak in the water system.

Old 08-25-14, 11:14 AM
Thanks again for the info PJ. Your theory of condensation on the inside of the cabinet may hold some water...LOL....no pun intended. I also agree with your assessment that the ice maker drain tube may not be the culprit with the small amount of water seeping out. Unless of course there is some kind of pocket formed in all that foam insulation that's letting the water pool in a certain area. But I'm sure condensation could find a pooling spot also. Just my luck....probably several million fridges sprout leaks on any given day, but I bet we're the only ones with a leak coming through a small rust spot in the back....LOL. Oh well. I am still open to any suggestions or would love to hear from anyone who may have had this type of leak before.....Thanks Again.

Old 05-09-16, 01:45 PM
Counter Depth Frigidaire Leak

windyc6,

I have the same exact leak. Did you ever find the solution?