Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kenmore dishwasher not fully draining

CANADA

08-26-14, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Kenmore dishwasher not fully draining

I opened my Kenmore Elite dishwasher and found water standing at the bottom. I thought it was a clog but found no major debris so I tried using vinegar, baking soda and boiling water to clear it. After a few attempts it seemed liked it was fixed (used the drain and rinse cycles to test). I did a couple of loads with no problems but then the problem returned. I checked the drain hose and found no clog. I also disconnected it from underneath, poured water in the unit and it ran out fine. A couple of times I got it to drain using the drain, rinse or regular cycles but for the most part it doesn't work. What would cause this behavior? We stopped using the unit a few months ago because we didn't have time to deal with it but the hand washing is starting to become too much. help!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

08-26-14, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I'd need a model number to check the drain system.

Make sure that the drain hose is fastened up high under the counter as shown in the illustration.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 28882
Size:  15.7 KB

CANADA

08-27-14, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Model # 665.13123K702
It does loop up before connecting to the drain (there is no disposal system) but not very high. The hose is coiled once or twice on the side of the unit so I don't think it would be too difficult to change. Why does it have to be positioned high like that??

PA

08-27-14, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)  
hi abfab -

I couldn't remember the exact answer to your question so I did some searching to refresh my memory also, and found the following question and the answers from manufacturers. Very interesting.

question:

“A high loop is required on the dishwasher drain in the installation instructions for all of your dishwashers. What is the purpose of this? Doesn’t the high loop that is incorporated in to the side of the dishwasher achieve the same thing? Any insight or commentary in to this matter would be greatly appreciated.”
Here are the responses the questioner received:

Kenmore: “The high loop or air gap must be used to prevent potential backflowcontamination of the dishwasher. Local plumbing codes generally dictate the requirements in your area. Section 807.4 of the Uniform Plumbing Code states: “No domestic dishwashing machine shall be directly connected to a drainage system or food waste disposer without the use of an approved dishwasher airgap fitting on the discharge side of the dishwashing machine. Listed airgaps shall be installed with the flood level (FL) marking at or above the flood level of the sink or drainboard, whichever is higher, or separately trapped with the airbreak located on the stand pipe.”
GE: “If an air gap is not required, the drain hose must have the high loop from the floor to prevent backflow of water into the dishwasher or water siphoning out during operation.”
Bosch: The high loop in the drain hose of your dishwasher is to keep water from settling in the hose if it were hanging down any lower or horizontally. This keeps the drain hose dried out and keeps any odors from backing up into the dishwasher.
Viking: In testing our dishwashers, we have found that the additional high loop in the back of the dishwasher is required for proper draining of the water. We have seen when this piece is not applied that over time the consumer will have issues with the water back up and causing issues with proper drainage and water pooling in a particular area.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

08-27-14, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)  

Hello: abfab

Depends upon how much water remains after using dishwasher. There is suppose to be some water that remains in the bottom. About an inch or so. That water keeps the bottom water seal from drying out during the dish drying cycle.

Why does it have to be positioned high like that??

Drain hose is suppose to be above the outlet or the water would siphon out. Doubt the dishwashers line could be above the drain plumbing line. That's why the dishwashers outlet hose is at the base of the machine. To prevent the water from siphoning out. Water gets pumped out during the normal cycles.

Summation: If some water remains at the bottom inside the machine, it's suppose to be there. If no water gets pumped out during the empty cycle, then problem is within the washer and not the plumbing line or drain piping line, etc.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

CANADA

08-27-14, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)  
The entire bottom is full of water that the unit is not emptying out. I don't think it a clog or a drain hose issue since it was working perfectly and I could find no grease build up or debris. Occasionally it will work but 99% of the time it doesn't regardless of the cycle I choose. It seems like a part is failing but I don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

OH

09-07-14, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Mine did this once and i resolved it by taking off the float cover and cleaning it out, then i got underneath and took the float switch out and re installed it, i thought i would have to replace it but after playing with it for a bit i must have loosened it up or something and it started working again.

Group Moderator

NJ

09-07-14, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)  
The float doesn't control the drain system. It only keeps the water fill from overflowing.

Did you actually remove the drain hose and check it for any obstruction ?
If it is the corrugated type it can become clogged with use.
There are actually several hoses that can become clogged in that unit.

In the following link there are videos that show how to remove the sump screen for cleaning and replacing the drain pump. You'll need to remove the drain pump to check for debris or small parts jamming it.
Kenmore Dishwasher Drain Pump W10348269 Repair Clinic

There is also a filter in the sump area that may also need to be cleaned or replaced. See item 8.
KENMORE ELITE Dishwasher Pump, washarm and motor Parts | Model 66513123K702 | SearsPartsDirect

OH

09-07-14, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)  
float rod is actually what presses down on the switch

Group Moderator

NJ

09-07-14, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)  
The fill water is a timed function. In the event that the water level gets too high that float switch turns off the fill valve.

Search this Thread