Whirlpool lsb6000pq2 spins only after open/close lid

Old 08-28-14, 02:23 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool lsb6000pq2 spins only after open/close lid

I just replaced the gear and pinion in the transmission because the gear was stripped. Now, when I run a load the spin cycle does not engage. It makes a humming noise as if it is attempting to spin. I raise the lid and hear the humming slow down and when it is almost stopped it moves the basket slightly and clicks as if the brake then becomes engaged. When I lower the lid it will then spin normally. It seems as if something is not engaging the brake after the agitate and rinse mode. When I raise and lower the lid it will then work every time. I dont think it is the clutch as I just replaced that and the coupler 3 months ago. I inspected both when working on the transmission and both are in great condition and functioning fine. Model number lsb6000pq2.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Gearcase has a neutral in it. Washer will agitate, stop drain, stop and than spin, The neutral is so the water will drain out before spinning. Sounds like running like it should.

Old 08-28-14, 02:35 PM
P
I'm not sure what you mean by sounds like its running like it should. It will only start the spin cycle after I open and close the lid. If I do not open the lid then it goes through the spin cycle without the tub spinning.

Old 08-28-14, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you run a complete cycle? washer agitates , stops and than drains . stops than spins, Opening lid is the same as the built in stops.

Old 08-28-14, 03:52 PM
P
Yes. It will run a full cycle as normal until it gets to spin. When it reaches the spin mode it will make a sound as if its spinning, but the tub is not spinning. I open the lid and the tub is not moving but the sound winds down. It sounds like the transmission is slowing down and then just as the sound almost comes to a stop (as if the tub were actually spinning) the brake engages and the tub will jerk slightly as you hear the brake lock the tub as it normally does if you were to open the lid during the spin cycle. Then you close the lid and it works normal and the spin cycle begins spinning the tub.

Old 08-28-14, 04:27 PM
F
After agitation stops, it should drain for 2 full minutes. Then the motor should stop and then start again. This takes the transmission out of neutral so that when the motor starts again, it will start spinning while continuing to drain. The brakes are always engaged when it's not spinning. The sound and slight jerk is the transmission shifting out of neutral. If there is no motor pause after the 2 minute drain, then the timer is bad.

Old 08-28-14, 05:04 PM
P
It does go through the 2 minute drain before attempting to begin the spin cycle. I'm not sure what you mean by "If there is no motor pause after the 2 minute drain". After the 2 minute drain something does start working (the motor/gearbox I think), but it is not spinning. I can hear it moving, but the tub is not spinning. I really thought it was mechanical (some type of part failure) rather than electrical (i.e. the timer) because when I opened the lid the gearbox would wind down and then when it got to the end it would move the tub slightly and you will hear a clank. It is the normal clank that you hear when it stops/starts spinning. I mean it sounds normal, not abnormal. I have been trying other cycles to see if the same thing happens in them. There are 3 cycles on this model and they each kind of act a bit differently. The quick cycle appears to be stuck in the agitate mode but its not doing anything. Every couple of minutes you can hear the timer moving but it will stop. And sometimes you will hear a buzzing sound as if it is coming from the timer.

Old 08-28-14, 06:24 PM
F
I'm not sure what you mean by "If there is no motor pause after the 2 minute drain"
After the 2 minute drain, does the motor stop and then start again?

Old 08-28-14, 08:33 PM
P
No, it just starts and runs without spinning the tub until I open and close the lid.

Old 08-29-14, 02:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a timer issue. Should wash , stop drain, stop , spin all controlled by timer.

Old 08-29-14, 04:50 AM
F
Yes, the timer is faulty. It is the stopping and restarting of the motor that shifts the transmission out of neutral and you are doing that manually when you open/close the lid. Timer part number is 8546685

Old 08-29-14, 07:46 AM
P
Thank you both. Any ideas on where I can find a timer for this locally? My wife has been down a washer for a week and a half and if I have to wait on these parts to ship...I may not make it through the weekend. There is 1 Sears parts stores here locally. I was thinking this was probably a fairly common issue so I would expect they would have some in stock. If they didn't have one the only other ideas I had to be able to pick one up today would be to call around to local appliance repair stores asking them to sell me one of theirs, but they may not be so anxious heading in to a holiday weekend as they may be hoping to get a service call that they can use it on. Again, thanks to all for your help.

Old 08-29-14, 08:14 AM
F
I'm not affiliated with this company but if you order from appliancepartspros.com it will ship today and you will usually have it at your door the next day although I can't say if that would hold true for this holiday weekend. The advantages of getting it from them is that it's a genuine manufacturer part, guaranteed for one year and if it doesn't fix the problem you may return it.

Whirlpool 8546685 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 08-30-14, 06:09 AM
F
I see that you posted on another forum that you replaced the timer and that did not fix the problem, so I guess you gave us some wrong info. I asked if the motor stopped and started again after the 2 minute drain and you said no. That means the timer is bad. So apparently, the motor does pause after the drain. The only way to figure this out now is to remove the cabinet and bypass the lid switch so you can observe clutch operation. After the 2 minute drain, motor stops and then starts again. When it starts again, does the clutch hub start spinning? If not, the problem is in the transmission. If the clutch hub does start spinning but basket does not, then the clutch is slipping. May be a faulty clutch or may be that the brakes are sticking. When you replaced the gears in the transmission, did you dump all the oil and get all debris from the stripped gear out? Did you replace the oil?

Old 08-30-14, 01:03 PM
P
I posted on another forum stating that I replaced the timer as I was thanking someone who had referred me to another professional. I wanted to watch cycles run through completely to try to gather more information to help troubleshoot the issue. What I've noticed so far is that it continues to run through the cycle whether or not the lid is opened/closed. It does not just stop the entire cycle if the lid is not open/closed or the motor is not stopped/restarted. I did not intentionally give you "wrong info". You asked "After the 2 minute drain, does the motor stop and then start again?". I said no because the motor stops at the end of the agitation cycle. Everything stops at the end of the agitation cycle for a couple of seconds. What would have been clearer is if I had stated that the machine stops everything when the agitation cycle is completed. I was thinking "transmission" when you said this. Please bear with me, I am still learning which part is running when. Then after a couple of seconds the motor starts up again to drain the tub. When the motor starts again after the agitation is complete it makes a different sound when the transmission is turning the tub versus when the transmission is not turning the tub. It is not a huge difference in the sound just a slight difference. It sounds as if the transmission is turning and is supposed to be spinning the tub. At this point after it has drained about 5 seconds if I open the lid then everything stops and there is a clunk as if something is engaging. Then I close the lid and the spin cycle starts as it continues draining the tub. I believe the transmission starts up again at the time it begins draining, because it makes that slightly different sound. The rest of the cycle (after this spin mode) completes in this sequence:
Motor and transmission both stop.
Motor and transmission start.
Open/close lid to engage spin mode.
Tub completes spin mode.
Tub fills (it has hit a mark on the dial that says Rinse).
Goes into agitation mode.
Motor and transmission start and pump drains water from tub.
Open and close lid to engage spin mode.
Tub empties as it is spinning.
Motor and transmission both start.
Open and close lid to engage spin mode.
This spin cycle is the final state of the cycle and the rinse comes on twice during the spin cycle before it finishes the entire cycle.

What is odd to me is that the first time I have to open/close the lid (during the initial agitation mode) I hear the clunk where it sounds like something engaged as I open the lid. The other times that I open/close the lid I hear the clunk after the lid is closed. Not sure if that means anything, but it was an observation that I made.

Old 08-30-14, 01:41 PM
F
Your still not getting it. The motor stops after agitation because it has to in order to reverse direction for drain and spin. It should drain for two full minutes without the tub spinning, then the motor should stop again which shifts the transmission out of neutral, then motor starts again at which point the tub should spin while the pump still drains. When the washer starts draining, don't open/close the lid. Wait two minutes and it should switch to spin on it's own. If, after the two minute drain, the motor does stop and start again on it's own but tub doesn't start spinning unless you stop/start it again manually by opening/closing the lid then you need to do what I advised with regard to observing the clutch hub in order to further diagnose the problem.

I see in your sequence of events, that the motor is pausing after two minutes but your not letting it happen normally because you are opening/closing the lid before that. It does seem that there is a problem in that the motor must be paused twice in order to get it to spin. Again, this could be an issue with the transmission, clutch or brakes and you will have to run the machine with the cabinet off to figure that out. BTW, where did you get the new clutch from and how much did it cost?

Last edited by fairbank56; 08-30-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 04:03 PM
P
Ok, I think I got it. I was not allowing the machine to wait 2 minutes before it shifted to spin cycle. After running several more loads (and allowing the full 2 minutes to see if it shifts on its own), I found that it does successfully shift into the spin mode at the end of the agitation cycles. It is only the last 1 or 2 spin modes where it is rinsing the clothes at the end where I have to open/close the lid or push the timer in/out. I couldn't tell you for sure where I got the clutch from. It was one of the online websites (repairclinic or partselect or appliancepartspros). I failed to answer your question previously about changing the gear in the transmission. I did drain the oil out of the gearcase and removed all of the debris and filled it with new gearcase oil.

Old 09-07-14, 09:55 AM
P
I got a spanner wrench and removed and inspected the drive block and the tabs on the spin tube. They both look fine.