Spin cycle ONLY!

Old 08-28-14, 05:48 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spin cycle ONLY!

I'm *pretty sure* that I have a faulty timer, but I thought I'd post here to see if you guys agree.

When I turn on the washer, it will fill up the tub with water, but then immediately start to spin instead of agitate. It doesn't train the tub, but spins it while it's full and also does the water spritzing thing (which leads to a wet floor...)

What do you guys think? I'm no expert, but from what I read online the timer seems to be most likely culprit. Anything else that it could be?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
post make and model # If a newer whirlpool Could be something else.

Old 08-28-14, 06:38 PM
R
It's a pretty old Amana. Manufacturer model number is PALW88OQAW. (Not sure if that was an O or a zero...)

Thanks!

Edit: Did a google search and it looks like it's an O and the first "P" is dropped (the tag listed it both ways). Mine is a ALW88OQAW

Old 08-28-14, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Could not get model # to work. Fairbanks may be on later and have some ideas. I think that washer was built by maytag.

Old 08-28-14, 06:46 PM
R
Did you catch my edit when you checked? That first P is dropped. Thanks pugsl!

Old 08-28-14, 07:22 PM
F
When you look down into the tub, which direction is it spinning? CW or CCW?

Old 08-28-14, 08:01 PM
R
I already have it torn apart, so I can't turn it back on at the moment to check, but I'm 95% sure it's clockwise.

Old 08-28-14, 08:17 PM
F
That is the normal spin direction so yes, I'd say you have a faulty timer however the washer should be draining as well. If you said CCW then that means motor is going in agitation direction and washer would not drain. If that were the case, sounds like helix on bottom of pulley is jammed keeping the brakes released. Brakes must be engaged when pulley is going in agitation direction. With brakes released, tub would spin in both agitate and spin but would only drain in spin.

Old 08-28-14, 08:45 PM
R
You know, I wonder if I AM going down the wrong path then. It doesn't drain in the agitate cycle, and when it did hit the real spin cycle I wasn't in the room for a few minutes. When I came in and caught it, it had drained the water and was spinning EXTREMELY fast. There was even a smell of hot rubber in the laundry room. I wonder if I should put the timer back in and check on that pulley.

Edit: I put the old timer back in and tried it on. It seems that I hit that 5%. It's trying to go CCW. Any advice on looking for that pulley/brake problem? I see a pulley in the bottom which loosens the belt. I can move it by hand, but I can't tell what force should be moving it during the cycle.

Edit2: I just found 2 small bolts (about a half inch long) sitting on the bottom directly under the main pulley area (straight under the tub). I would guess that has something to do with it, but it's so tight under there, I can't see where they might belong.

Last edited by RobbL; 08-28-14 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 05:06 AM
F
Bolts may be from the brake pads? There are 3 pads each having 2 bolts. The brakes keep the tub from moving during agitation and quickly stop the tub after spin cycle. Remove the motor and pump for access so you can see whats going on there.

Old 08-29-14, 06:54 AM
R
That picture is extremely helpful. I thought it might be from the brake pads. The two in the front that I can get to only have one bolt each, and they swing around.

I called a local appliance repair person who I know to be VERY honest and told her about this and what I leaned from here. She said that she was concerned that since it had been run in this condition, I would likely be looking at a transmission job, and I should probably just go shopping. She offered to come out for $70 to confirm, but she said that I would probably end up paying her to say the same thing.

What do you guys think? If I can get the brake pads back in place, think it would still be okay? Even if it is a transmission job, is that something easy enough (and cost effective) for a DIY type of guy can tackle on his own.

Thanks again. I'm glad I found this forum. You guys are great!

Old 08-29-14, 07:12 AM
F
I don't see how this would have damaged the transmission. I would pull the motor and pump and get in there to reattach the brake pads properly. Then you can rotate the pulley by hand. One direction should cause the agitator to move back and forth and the other will cause the pulley to ride upwards releasing the brake and cause the tub to rotate. If that all seems to be operating correctly with the brakes back in position, then put it back together and try it.

Old 08-29-14, 05:55 PM
R
It's looking promising. I have 2 out of the 3 brake pads back on, and it's already behaving like you said it should when I spin the pulley. The bummer is that the 3rd brake pad in the back was also hanging on by one bolt, and I could only find 2 loose ones - so I'm short one bolt.

It seems like the only way to get one is to buy a whole new kit (Whirlpool R0000014 Kit, Brake Pad - AppliancePartsPros.com). The pads still seem to look okay, so it would be bummer to spend $25 for a single bolt. Do you know if there's another way to get it? Or, maybe something from the hardware store will work just as well?

Old 08-29-14, 06:15 PM
F
It's gotta be under there somewhere but if you can't find it, take one of the other bolts to the hardware store with you so you can match it up. Make sure to get a stainless steel bolt. Much stronger than zinc and won't rust out.

Old 08-29-14, 06:47 PM
R
I did that. I walked in right when they were closing up, so didn't want to take too much time. They didn't have one in stainless, but I got one in zinc that will probably have to work for now. (I put it in the front so it will be easier to replace later if I need to.

I put it back together and MAGIC! We have a functional washer again! My wife is pretty excited (although I think that a part of her was hoping we'd have to buy a new one...)

Thanks fairbank! You're the best!!