LG LMV-1680ST above range microwave problems

Old 09-01-14, 03:12 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LG LMV-1680ST above range microwave problems

So basically, I bought this used a year ago and it has been great. 3 days ago my girlfriend put in a bowl of soup, hit cook and after about 6 seconds, the unit popped and lost all power. I checked the breaker (microwave only) in the box down stairs and it was tripped. I swtiched it back on and went up to see the unit was powered again.

I set the clock, the vent worked, lights etc... So we selected cook time of 1:54 pressed start cook and the unit immediately went dead again, tripping the breaker.

Here I removed the power cord, plugged it in the dinning room with an extension cord and shut everything off in there. Same issue as it tripped the dinning room breaker this time. I then tested a portable microwave on the original microwave receptical and it worked fine.

What could my issue be here, I'd really like to keep this unit and dont have a problem replacing a bad part. Where should I begin?

UNIT http://www.electronicsz4sale.com/lmv...n-p-23214.html

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-14, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The problem could be a shorted high voltage diode, hi voltage transformer or magnetron tube.
You will need a VOM (volt ohmmeter) if you intend to fix the unit.

Old 09-02-14, 08:30 PM
P
I do have a VOM and the capability to fix the unit, I was hoping for a few pointers on how to attack this?

Have any tips?

Old 09-02-14, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
The purchase of a service manual would be an excellent idea. It's up to you.
Service Manual LMV1680ST, LMV1680ST01

I've serviced a lot of units and rarely buy manuals for myself. I recognize the parts in the units on sight. You would need to un-mount the unit and take off the main cover. Post a few pictures of the insides and I can direct you. You can post the pics here or I'll provide my email address and you can send them that way to preserve the large size.

Old 09-03-14, 09:34 AM
P
Id really appreciate the help.

Can you send your email over and ill get those photos over as soon as I can! It'll be a day or 2 with work if that's okay?

Last edited by PJmax; 09-03-14 at 09:36 AM. Reason: removed email address
Old 09-03-14, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
I'll send you an email. We don't post them on the forums as it presents a spam issue.

You can host those pics on your own picture hosting site if you have one.... or I'll do it for you.