POP - no electric stove. Pull out line?

Old 09-01-14, 08:01 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
POP - no electric stove. Pull out line?

Preheating the oven last night and heard a loud pop and the electric stove went out. Breaker has been tripped and I can't reset. Strange thing is once or twice the clock came on - but as soon as I turned a burner on it went out again - don't know how that would happen if the breaker was tripped.

In any case - switching to a gas stove in about a week or two. Is the range anything to worry about? Should I just get the electrician to take out the line instead of fixing (the 220 box it plugs into could be in the way of the new gas range.

Just want to make sure I don't have a serious situation here - since I can't get an electrician on a holiday weekend

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-14, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
You've lost 240v to the stove. All you have is 120v (one leg) which is why the clock works.
Your oven element may be shorted allowing the breaker to not reset completely. Even if the oven is turned off..... the element still has power to one side.

Old 09-01-14, 08:47 AM
B
thanks PJ. The clock is no longer working. It only worked sporadically. So you think it is the oven? I was going to give away the oven when I got the new gas stove - maybe that's not such a good idea now. I thought it might be an electrical issue - but I am actually clueless about these things

Old 09-01-14, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
It may not be a bad idea to have an electrician stop by and at least disconnect the wiring from the circuit breaker to eliminate any further issues.

Old 09-09-14, 04:21 PM
B
Well - it was something where the wires from the electric out connects to the stove - something in there shorted out. Apparently easy fix as the guy was not here that long. I tried to look over his shoulder but could not see everything - just know he unscrewed the three wires that connect the stove to the cord that plugs into the outlet

Old 09-09-14, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
There may have been an insulator left out of a metal flex conduit. The conduit can be very sharp at the ends where it connects.

Glad the problem has been resolved.