Replacing lid switch Maytag LAT8404AAE washer

Old 09-02-14, 05:55 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing lid switch Maytag LAT8404AAE washer

Maytag washer model LAT8404AAAE failed mid-cycle; but when pushing lever back, but only half-way back, on intact lid switch, electrical connection completed, and the wash cycle finished. Pushed all the way back didn't complete the electrical connection. Thinking maybe there was a misalignment of the spring or another part of the assembly due to ongoing use, but not able to replace the lever/spring into the switch assembly; don't know where the other end of the spring attaches (one end attaches to the switch lever hole.) Do I need to replace the entire assembly? Also, how do I remove the top lid? having removed all visible screws. Top lid not sliding forward as supposed to. This lid switch was replaced just one year ago. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-14, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Check the model # did not work. Been a long time since I worked on one of those. Think it is under console. If not the front of washer comes off (2 screws lower part in fold) take front off and than either screws 5/16 screws inside hold top down or brackets come off top and screw in front.

Old 09-02-14, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,108 Votes on 1,028 Posts
Main title corrected with proper model number. LAT8404AAE

Those lid switches can be a real problem. You can change just the switch or the entire assembly. The link below is the entire assembly plus a replacement video which should be helpful to you.

Whirlpool 22001682 Lid Switch Assembly - Appliance Parts Pros

Old 09-03-14, 06:43 AM
F
This video shows how the spring attaches between the unbalance lever and the plunger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-4P4wcmHU

Old 09-03-14, 12:08 PM
P
Will order replacement switch and trust the actuator is fine

Thanks the videos are awesome! I tested the fuse and it's intact...my thought is to replace the entire assembly, as it only lasted 1 year since being replaced.
One question; should I replace the actuator as well? Seems it may be involved with the problem, since if you push and hold it halfway but not all the way back, that completes the electrical connection and the washer works as normal.
Or maybe not? as it's just mechanical and shows no sign of wear. Thanks! can I assign you a kudos for your assistance?

Old 09-03-14, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
All it is is that plastic push rod and clip on lid. If neither show ware should be OK.