Frigidaire dishwasher- fdb1050reb2 not filling fully

Old 09-04-14, 02:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire dishwasher- fdb1050reb2 not filling fully

I have a frigidare fdb1050reb2 dishwasher that has been having some issues. After looking into further detail as to the possible issue, I noticed that the dishwasher is hardly filling up with water. The water hardly covers the bottom strainer, where according to other articles, the water should touch the bottom of the heating element.

Recently, I checked all the incoming water connections to the unit. All paths appear to be clear of any obstructions, but when running water into the unit for a wash, the water flow is very slow. The incoming pressure to the dishwasher seems very good, so I replaced the incoming water valve.

The only difference now, is that when filling up with water it sounds slightly different than before, but it still fills up to the same level, and the water flow into the dishwasher is still very slow.

Does the water valve have some sort of pressure regulator if the pressure is too high?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
Does the water valve have some sort of pressure regulator if the pressure is too high?
No.... there is not.

The dishwasher fill process is controlled strictly by time.
How about the water shutoff valve...... is it open all the way ?

Old 09-05-14, 08:43 AM
C
How about the water shutoff valve...... is it open all the way ?
Yeah, the shutoff valve is fully open. I had previously tested that to verify that it had sufficient water pressure.

I actually ended up finding the issue. After receiving the new fill valve, I decided to tear the old one apart. Inside of the unit, there is a small plastic strainer, which I removed, and it was clean. Beyond that, there was a small rubber "washer" that would only allow the water to flow through an orifice about the size of a tip of a pen.

The actual opening of the fill valve inlet is about the size of your thumb. Upon removing this rubber "washer" or restricter , I re-installed the old fill valve and retested the unit. Now, the unit is audibly louder when it fills with water; however it now fills full and triggers the float switch in roughly 55 seconds, and the fill timer is 90 seconds.

Any idea as to the purpose of this rubber washer?

Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-06-14, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
I had previously tested that to verify that it had sufficient water pressure.
I'm sure the pressure there is fine but is the flow fine. You can get normal pressure thru a pinhole but not enough volume.

That piece of rubber with the small hole in it is called the fill valve flow washer. It's designed to let the correct amount of water pass thru based on normal house water pressure.

The following link is for a rebuildable valve although the design is similar to yours. The part is 128A
sears parts direct/Dishwasher-Parts/

Old 09-08-14, 07:33 AM
C
yeah, with that fill valve flow washer in place, you are correct. The dishwasher does not receive enough volume of water. What ends up happening is that the fill timer will expire, and the dishwasher will only be half full of water. Is there a common cause for this?

Old 09-08-14, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Have you timed the fill time ? Most machines are 90 seconds.

Old 09-09-14, 05:19 AM
C
Yes. I timed it before and after. The overall fill time is 90 seconds. with the flow valve washer in the flow valve, it will only fill to about half full in the given time.

After I removed the fill valve washer, it now fills in about 53 seconds and trips the float switch.

Old 10-01-14, 07:46 AM
D
I encountered a similar issue. My 6 mo old frigidaire DW was not filling up with water at all...after not using for a month or so. I called the service repair number (1-888-203-1389) and the agent instructed to fill my DW up with water with a pot....until it retains a puddle and then start the machine. This seemed to resolve my issue. Apparently this occurs if I do not use my DW for long periods of time. She suggested running it a minimum of once a week. This seemed to resolve the problem.