How to replace vintage double oven/electric cook top?

Old 09-05-14, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to replace vintage double oven/electric cook top?

Hello all! I have a double unit house and I am going to start renting the unit I have been living in since I bought it. It came with a double oven and cooktop with hood in beautiful 1970s avocado green that are quite finicky and I want to replace them before renting.

That being said, my goal is to buy used and have my handyman replace them (or call a local appliance repair place?)... If you were me, how would you go about replacing them for a rental unit?

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 12098
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 2756
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  32.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 05:36 PM
If I planned to live in the house, I would replace everything. For a rental I would consider getting everything fixed/restored to proper working order. Repair is pretty straightforward. To replace, you have a few issues:

1. New wall oven would probably require cabinet work. Top of existing oven is very close to upper doors, bottom drawer, and side cabinets. Chances are slim to find an oven that would fit. Also double wall ovens are pricey.

2. I don't see controls on cook top surface. If they are mounted below counter level, it would be more cabinet work. (these are rare)

3. Vent hood looks 36". It may just be the perspective. 36" vent hoods are still available, but the standard is 30". 36 would be more expensive.

4. Depending on how existing oven and cook top were wired, you may need to run 2 new 240 volt circuits all the way from panel.

I would fix it, hang a big peace sign in there and maybe some tie-dyed rags and leave as it.

Old 09-05-14, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
2. I don't see controls on cook top surface. If they are mounted below counter level, it would be more cabinet work. (these are rare)
Check out the range hood for the cook top controls.
That's an old GE JP8601 cook top. There is a large connecting cable between them.

First step is to measure rough openings for replacement units. I don't think I'd buy used appliances for a rental. You might be better off just buying builders grade (basic) appliances.

Old 09-05-14, 09:01 PM
PJ,
Aha, cook top controls on hood? Now that's something I have never seen.
Pretty cool.

Old 09-05-14, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
It was a big hit in the 70's. Good luck trying to find those button assemblies.

Old 09-06-14, 10:20 AM
Thanks all - Maybe a call to my local appliance place is in order... I don't mind the cooktop (yes the controls are in the hood) but one of the burners is shot, one only works on high and the others are rough.... think it's worth anything on craigslist?

Old 11-27-14, 01:06 AM
Question can u tell me this oven model number, plate is too worn

I have the same oven, and have been looking for info on it. The model number is too worn, and I had to look through pictures for one. Took a while, would you please tell me the model number for this particular oven? Also, I am assuming this is a hard wire, would it be a 40 amp? Any info would be great, thanks in advance!

Old 11-27-14, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Try sending nikik a PM.

A wall oven is usually a hard wired appliance. It would be at least a 240vac 40A circuit and could be a 50A circuit.