My GE Fridge stopped cooling

Old 09-05-14, 07:32 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My GE Fridge stopped cooling

Hi,
My GE side by side fridge has stopped getting cold and was gonna see if you guys could guide/assist me to possibly fix it?I am guessing the temperature in the freezer never gets below 40 degrees and fridge about 55.

Heres some things I have checked.I have removed the inner freezer wall that exposes the silver coils.After about 3-4 hours of running the bottom coils and higher side coils get snowy looking.After shutting it down, I took the start switch relay and capcitor off and shook it and didnt hear any rattling.Does that mean the capacitor is good?I seen a video."How to Install a Universal Relay (3 n 1 Starter) on your Compressor" and was considering trying it to see if that could be the fix? Other things to note is the fan clearly runs on the inside of the freezer and the back fan near the compressor runs fine too.I havent tested the compressor yet.Only reason I havent done that yet is I dont have a OEM meter to test.Plan on getting one tomorrow.Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

PS: Ive attached some pics of the actual fridge, a closeup of the dispenser, the silver coils behind the wall, and 2 pics of the start/relay switch and capacitor to help assist with the troubleshooting.Thanks again

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Hey... who turned off the flash.

I re-posted the one of the evaporator here as it's the only one that helps. I gave it a little help so that it could be seen.

Name:  2014-08-31_23-16-57_114.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  41.0 KB

Ok... you're hopping all around here.
Does the compressor run continuously ?
If it had a hard time starting or if it had a start relay problem you would usually hear the compressor clicking.

I'm concerned with only the end portion of the coil getting frosted. That would indicate a lack of refrigerant issue like what might be caused by a leak. In that case the compressor would be running non stop.

Old 09-05-14, 07:52 PM
B
LOL My phone sucks at taking pics,The flash isnt timed right

Yeah the compressor runs all the time.The coils on bottom get snowing looking and some of the side ones a little higher have a snowy look too.

Old 09-05-14, 07:55 PM
B
Also
I dont see any signs of a leak.Wouldnt it be smelly?You are talking about freon leaking out at the back, correct?

Old 09-05-14, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
I'm afraid that your fridge may be low on refrigerant. That coil in the picture is most likely where the leak is. Unfortunately there are no charge ports on the compressor. Unless the fridge is fairly new or is an expensive model or under warranty.... leak problems aren't usually repaired.

The leak is very small. There would be no smell or odor.

Old 09-05-14, 08:19 PM
B
Would there be any residue from the leak? So there is basically no way to see a leak?

Old 09-05-14, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
If the area where the leak was very dusty it would turn black. Inside the fridge where everything gets wet it you'd never see it. Most of the oil stays in the compressor so there is not much of anything to see at the leak point.