GE GTS22KCPBRCC- 50 degree frige

Old 09-07-14, 09:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE GTS22KCPBRCC- 50 degree frige

GE model number GTS22KCPBRCC - Frig doesn't get below 50

The freezer portion freezes items, however the refrigerator will not get below 50 degrees. I noticed an accumulation of ice on the lower portion of the freezer and can only assume that this is the issue. Any information on what part may be needed to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-14, 12:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
I would investigate how the ice got there. I'm assuming the drain line is clogged. The machine did a defrost cycle and the water couldn't drain, overflowed the catch pan then froze when it went back into normal operation and somehow blocked the air path to the fridge. It may have taken several cycles to build up enough ice to block of the air flow and make it noticeable in the fridge. It might be something you can fix without even having to buy parts.

Old 09-07-14, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Well...you're in luck. You have a basic fridge with no complex circuit boards. You have a basic defrost timer and a standard thermostat.

You will need to remove the cover from the evaporator to see if it is iced over. You may have a bad defrost heater (part 618) or a defrost thermostat (part 620). The area that will be plugged is the drain trough (part 622).

You will also need to check and make sure the evaporator fan (part 610/613) is working as that is what circulates the cold air from the freezer to the fridge.

All part numbers are referenced off of the parts direct diagram.
Refrigerator P Series Freezer section Parts | Model GTS22KCPBRCC | SearsPartsDirect

Old 09-20-14, 07:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you!!

I would just like to say "THANK YOU" for the advice. Definitely had a bad evaporator motor. Ordered the replacement part and the refrigerator runs great!!!!

Old 09-20-14, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Great news and you're welcome.