GE JBP24BY2WH - Oven not preheating on bake cycle

Old 09-11-14, 08:12 AM
A
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
GE JBP24BY2WH - Oven not preheating on bake cycle

Recently bought an old home. The existing stove/oven is a GE GT247582G. When I moved in I noticed that the bake and broiler elements were missing. Contacted GE, got the replacement part #s ordered them, received them and installed them. The broiler element works fine. The bake element seems that it is not working properly consistently. Meaning, the element itself is fine (tested continuity-good and it is new) but when I set the digital dial by turning the knob I see the readout going up in temp reading as I turn it. So if I set it to 350 deg I will leave it and come back 10 minutes later and the oven is just warm. If I turn it off and back on again and leave it for 10 or 15 minutes more it may or may not go up to temp. It is hit or miss with no particular pattern.

When I do turn the knob to set the temp I hear the thermostat click. Most of the time I hear a click and then another click right away. When I first replaced the bake element about 40 days ago I believe I heard a click and after a while it would click again. I know that the bake and broil element work together cycling on and off to evenly preheat the oven. But wondering if this is no longer taking place.

I tried contacting GE but their customer service/tech department told me to call one of their service companies; I can't spend a fortune on this oven. I am good with electricity and troubleshooting, just need a good starting point. I can't just afford to randomly replacing parts without knowing if it will solve the issue and I certainly can't afford a service call and parts. I don't want to just junk the stove/oven because I like the features on it and would cost far too much for me to replace it with something that has the same features.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to the responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-14, 10:48 AM
A
Update on this original post
In case someone does a search I wanted to include the solution to assist them in resolving the same issue. I originally posted the model number incorrectly; was not able to edit the title to correct it. The model is: JBP24BY2WH I had used the serial number in error. After clarifying this with GE I ordered the suggested part #WB27X10215 (suitable replacement for this older stove). The prices ranged between $85-$160. Received the part and with basic knowledge of electrical and the instructions the part is user serviceable. Popped it in and the oven now works fine.

Old 09-23-14, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Thanks for the update must of got missed first time around.

Old 09-23-14, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I corrected the title for you. I had also replied when you posted this but must have not posted my reply. I preview all my replies and apparently never hit post and it was still in "auto-save" memory.

I had several threads running recently on GE control boards. Most just required resoldering of the relays on the control board. If you still have the control board check the back for burned areas.

An interesting read if you get the time....
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...d-working.html

Old 09-24-14, 01:24 AM
A
Thanks for correcting the title of my post. Hopefully it will help others in the future.

Although I did soldering in electrical class I would not have felt comfortable enough to play with the board considering what it would end up controlling. For the amount of money it takes to replace the board I would have felt compelled to replace it anyway. But thanks and I will check out the link you provided. I still have the board and will give it a "once over" to see.

Thanks again.