GE 24" Oven wall unit shorted. Need Help...

Old 09-14-14, 04:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE 24" Oven wall unit shorted. Need Help...

Hello all,
I am in need of guidance of what to buy to make my oven work again.
I have a GE 24" Wall Oven. Model# JRS04B0W5BB.

While cleaning the oven I have lifted the bottom element to wipe underneath and I saw a spark. The front panel was no longer turned on so I checked my breaker box and the fuse did not trip. I pulled the oven out and noticed the connection of the bottom element touched the metal casing of the oven while lifting it due to a burn/arch mark on the metal. I took a voltmeter and that connection is still showing 240volts. But my front panel does not work. I went ahead and purchased a new control board and installed it ...and still no luck? I am not sure what else to replace... Only option I can think of is front panel which is the touch screen for oven controls .. But that part cost $450!. An appliance repair tech came over the other night and was stumped... He stated he couldn't see why the panel would be out because the wiring diagram isn't in connection with the front panel... Does anyone know what can be the problem? Thanks everyone!

Last edited by dyno00; 09-14-14 at 04:50 AM. Reason: wrong grammer
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-14, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Hopefully you purchased that board from a place you can return it to..... it's not the board.

The control board only switches one leg of the 240vac. One leg of the broiler element and the bake element is always live. I'm trying to figure out where exactly you measured 240v at the element. You shouldn't unless you have it turned on and are measuring both ends.

You need to start at the beginning.... the panel. You said fuse. There would be two fuses supplying the oven. If it's a breaker..... push the handle firmly off and then back on. You should check for 240vac leaving the panel and going to the range.

If all ok and still no display.... you need to check the back of the oven where the wiring connects. If you have a plug and receptacle...... check there first and then inside the wiring junction box on the range. The power should be off when opening things up to prevent shorts and shocks.

Let me know what you find.

Old 09-15-14, 09:15 AM
D
Hello..
Thank you for your response.
I am getting 240vac from the breaker and the wires connecting to the oven.

Old 09-15-14, 10:46 AM
D
I wanted to add....all 4 legs of bake/broil elements are 240volts... Still no display... I also did the key panel sound test....nothing at all

Old 09-15-14, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
I wanted to add that your actual model number is JRS04BW5BB.

Have you come across the wiring diagram. I do not have it. It should be posted somewhere within the unit.
Is this the board you replaced ?

In the bottom picture... you'll see a box in red. That is the place on that board where it gets power. N=neutral and L1A= one leg of the 240v. Between N and L1A you should measure 120v.

Name:  board front.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:  board back.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  26.7 KB