Preventive maintanance for a dishwasher

Old 09-15-14, 08:58 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preventive maintanance for a dishwasher

We have a 14 year old Kitchen Aid dishwasher that still works but possibly not as well as it once did. I am wondering if there are certain things that should be replaced or checked to assure the flow rates and pressures are as designed. I have noticed on an increasing frequency dishes that don't get completely clean. The obvious things are the plugged spray arms but there are also joints where the spray arms move that could become leaky and perhaps the pump starts to loose pressure, etc.

While this is intended to be a generic question I could provide an exact model number if it would help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Depending on your water you more than likely need to run an acid thru the machine. I used to use Tang but there is an actual product called Affresh for dishwashers that does an excellent job cleaning.

Clogged jets in the spray arm are a common problem from the calcium in the water. If they get clogged the arms don't spin and cleaning is diminished.

Certain machines have filters in/under the sump and they can become plugged. If you post the model number I could give you more exact information.