Whirlpool direct-drive washer won't drain

Old 09-16-14, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool direct-drive washer won't drain

Kenmore 110.82979100, which is Whirlpool direct drive washer machine.

Washer was sitting there full of clothes and water and it was humming. It wasn't draining or spinning. Room smelled that electrical smell. Unplugged it.

Drained it and removed the cabinet. Shorted the lid-switch connector, same problem. When I put it on spin cycle it hums. Lid switch is confirmed not to be the problem.

Disconnect the pump from the motor and try again. I see the motor try and turn, but is stuck. Just hums.

Remove the motor from the transmission, it spins freely and works fine.

With motor removed, the tub revolves fairly freely. Some drag, but I'm guessing it's normal.

The rubber bushing in the motor coupling is pretty chewed up. I'm not sure if that's the cause, a side-effect of the problem or unrelated. I'm guessing it's not the cause, but surely needs to be replaced.

So, do I just change out the motor coupling and see if that fixes the problem? Anything else I could test? I have a nagging feeling it could be the timer or transmission, but not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-14, 12:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes....that drive coupling could certainly use a replacement. With motor disconnected from transmission... try turning it in both directions as one way is agitate and the other is spin.

Was agitating working ?

Old 09-17-14, 12:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Reinstall motor but leave water pump off, Jump lid switch and try it in spin. Sounds like you have something stuck in water pump. 90% of time you will not be able to get it out and will need a new pump. coupler is bad don't think I have ever seen one chewed up like that.
Looking at coupler if it you might have something stuck under basket. Do you know if it agitated? Water pump stuck will not agitate or spin, something stuck under basket will agitate but not spin. No spin no drain,

Old 09-17-14, 08:54 AM
I don't know if agitating was working, I'll check that tonight. So that motor runs in reverse depending on the cycle?

Motor won't spin with the pump disconnected. It tries, you can hear it and see an initial movement of the shaft, but it can't move the transmission. So something stuck in the pump isn't the problem (or at least isn't the only problem )

I can rotate the drum fairly easily with a screwdriver stuck into a hole in the basket. So I don't think something is stuck under the basket.

I fear the transmission is seized up.

Old 09-17-14, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never have seen a gearcase frozen. As I said I have never seen a drive coupler look like that, Was the plastic pieces broken? Turning basket with a screwdriver won't tell you a lot. Was gearcase leaking oil?

Old 09-17-14, 01:55 PM
No leaking oil. Plastic pieces are intact. I have another coupling kit on the way, they are nice and inexpensive.

Old 09-17-14, 03:22 PM
Put one of the plastic coupler halves back on the transmission input shaft. Rotating input shaft by hand CCW should produce agitation and CW for spin. You should not normally be able to freely rotate the basket by hand as the brakes should be applied. You may have a worn drive block. Remove the agitator and inspect the top of the drive block. The slots in the block should be fully engaged with the two tabs on the spin tube as in this photo.

Old 09-17-14, 04:43 PM
The drive block looks OK to me, what do you think?

I can't move the transmission CW or CCW by hand. Not surprising since the motor can't turn it either. I can get about a 1/8 of a revolution from it, then no more. It doesn't feel like a solid metal-to-metal seizing, there is some give, like I'm compressing rubber or something.

The shaft coming out of the drive block spins with just a little resistance, nice and smooth.

My agitator dogs are gone, I guess the agitator hasn't been working for a while. That's embarrassing, guess I'll have cleaner clothes for now on.

Obviously just replacing the motor coupling isn't going to fix this. I guess drop the gearbox and see what I see?

Last edited by EdCallahan; 09-17-14 at 04:46 PM. Reason: drive block shaft spins freely
Old 09-17-14, 05:10 PM
Drive block looks perfect but you certainly have a faulty transmission. Your going to have to take it apart to figure out what's going on. Almost all internal parts are available for replacement.

Old 09-17-14, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A first for me, never seen a gearcase frozen. Guess that's why never saw a coupler like that.

Old 09-17-14, 08:02 PM
Well, I do feel special now Well, I'll let you guys know what I find. I do appreciate the help.

Old 09-21-14, 02:30 PM
Well, problem solved. Yet I don't feel fulfilled, I mostly feel annoyed and vaguely stupid I find this not uncommon when fixing things, with hindsight being 20-20 it's hard to look back and believe you missed the problem earlier.

I removed the drive block and tub. I pulled out the gearbox and got it on the workbench. Still couldn't turn the motor-end, it was bound hard. Felt like it was bound on something rubber.

See that missing corner of the rubber bushing in the motor coupler, down in my first post? Yeah, guess where that was? Stuck up in the transmission keeping it from turning Pulled it out and the transmission moves fine.

So, I'll put it back together now, I expect it'll work fine. I'll let you know if it doesn't.

At least in the process I learned some things, noticed the dogs in the agitator need to be replaced and got under the tub cleaned up, it was disgusting down there.

Old 09-21-14, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't want to see what we find under appliances. Dead animals are the worst.