Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Kenmore Washer (stacked) slight rubber smell, drains/spins with manual start

Old 09-16-14, 08:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Kenmore Washer (stacked) 417.92702200 dated 2/2002, which does not complete a full cycle. I have a slight rubber smell, and then the tub remains full. However, when I go back and put it on Spin, it drains/spins with manual start no problemo. The Drain pump is direct drive as I took it apart to look at originally when I thought it just wasnt draining. However I see the rest of the unit is belt driven for the tub. I'm wondering..... does it just need a new belt? Is that a tell tale sign, when a washer cant complete the whole cycle and stops on drain/spin? I tried a unit reset I read about..... unplugging/plugging back in and shutting the lid 6 times. Not sure what else it could be but timer/logic board?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-14, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Belt can't hurt, 5 minute job.No tools needed except to get front off. Does the timer stop before going into spin? You said you can turn to spin and it works so don't think belt is problem. Do you have to open and close lid before it will drain and spin?

Old 09-20-14, 08:58 PM
S
Update

Sorry, been out of town. It just will not drain on a normal cycle. It still spins, and it trys to start up the pump, it just "ecccck" s for a second and that's it. HOwever, if you wait for the full cycle to end, and just throw it back on Spin AFTER wards, it spins/drains fine? I guess I will try a new belt and pump? Or can it be timer related? Transmission seems good, it is spinning one way during spin, and other during wash cycles. I also did the reset trick, unplugging, opening closing door 6 times after plugging back in, but no dice. Is it timer/logic board?? Thanks!!

Old 09-20-14, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the pump. When it goes into spin unplug pump and replug it back and see if it will start. Don't think I have ever seen that problem.

Old 10-02-14, 05:50 PM
S
Yep, bad pump

Thanks Pugsi, it was the pump. I just ordered another one on line for about 30 bucks and put it in. All good after that. Shouldn't have waited so long!!

Old 10-02-14, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, Always nice to know the answer.