Maytag washer timer issue (I think)

Old 09-23-14, 09:19 AM
Maytag washer timer issue (I think)

Hi all,
This is about the third or fourth DIY forum I've posted to in the last 36 hours & I have yet to receive an answer. I hope I have better luck here! :helpme 2:

I have a Maytag washer model #LAT9304AAE that I think has a bad timer but I don't want to buy the part until I know for (at least almost) certain.

It will fill on all cycles. It will not agitate on any cycle. I can manually get it to drain & spin on the Delicate cycle if I push in the timer knob, move it one click & then pull the knob back out and repeat until I get to the correct spot for that cycle.

My assumption () is that if I can get it to spin then the belt shouldn't be the problem. However, since I'm not overly familiar with washers and similar appliances and their related mechanics, I'm not willing to invest in a part (especially an electrical part which may not be returnable) until I have a better indication of what the problem actually is.

So, if anyone can please give me some advice or information about this "thang" I'd sure appreciate it.

M_D

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-14, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like timer, Does the timer dial move or do you manually have to turn it? Usually it dial won't move the timer is bad.

Old 09-23-14, 10:37 AM
After fill stops and agitation should begin, does the motor run? Or is washer all quiet? If all quiet, it could be the water level pressure switch. Open the control panel and jump the two outer terminals of the pressure switch. If motor still won't run, then looks like a bad timer. If you buy the timer from appliancepartspros and it doesn't fix the problem, it can be returned. Timer part number is 22001255.

Old 09-23-14, 06:36 PM
Thanks to both of you for the fast responses!!

Fairbank56, the motor is not running at all unless I manually advance the timer knob to the pump/drain & spin but it will do that only on the Delicate cycle. It will not agitate on any setting. I cannot get the machine to do anything after it fills. It just stops cold.

Pugsl, the timer appears to advance if I move it past the point where it should start agitating or, more accurately, I can hear it ticking on one side of the dial (Permanent Press & Delicate). It makes no sound on the Regular side of the dial.

I'll check the pressure switch in the morning & post back with the results. I'm also simultaneously trying to get the windows on the west side of the house stripped, sanded & glazed so we can paint before a good ol' Buffalo winter gets here. Have to take advantage of the nice weather while we've got it!

Many thanks again for the help!!

Old 09-23-14, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
A test you could try before opening machine.

After the tub fills with water and the machine goes quiet..... sometimes you can try changing the fill level up and down a few times and that can start the machine running.

Old 09-24-14, 02:51 PM
PJmax, that didn't work, unfortunately.

I'm a little stymied at this point. I tried bypassing the pressure switch but "trying" was about as far as I got. I'm attaching some photos to try to figure out what I did wrong since nothing I tried worked. I obviously wasn't doing something correctly.

I made sure my meter was working by checking the voltage at the outlet. I know also that my ground connection on the washer was good because I checked the incoming voltage at the main power harness inside the panel.

I also traced all the wires into and out of the switch as follows:
  • The ground from the main power harness in goes to the bottom terminal
  • Also on the bottom terminal is a gray wire that goes to the Timer
  • The middle terminal is a brown wire that goes to the Lid Switch Assembly (I think. See the last pic)
  • The top terminal (Yellow wire) goes directly to the Water Temp Switch

My thought process was that I was trying to determine which of the terminals on the pressure switch had power thinking that if I knew that I'd know which wires to connect to bypass the switch. Unfortunately, I never got a voltage reading on any of the terminals no matter what position the Timer dial was in. (I did plug the washer back in to test the terminals)

All I can say for myself is, "D'Oh!!" Thanks for helping me stumble through this!

Name:  MaytagCP4.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  44.7 KB
Pressure Switch

Name:  MaytagCP1.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  33.7 KB
Entire Panel

Name:  MaytagCP3.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  32.1 KB
Lid Switch?

Attached Images  

Last edited by molly_dog; 09-24-14 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks....
Old 09-24-14, 03:20 PM
The pressure switch connects neutral to either the fill valves or the drive motor. You would need to jump the outer terminals (the one with the gray and white wires to the one with the yellow wire). Then set washer to wash cycle and see if it agitates. If it doesn't, looks like a faulty timer.

BTW, the yellow wire goes to the timer, not the temp switch. There is a yellow wire running from the temp switch to the timer but it's not the same one going to the pressure switch.

You probably shouldn't be messing around with live circuits not really knowing what your doing. Your going to get shocked or worse. The yellow wire at pressure switch should be hot (120vac) while washer is filling if lid is closed.

Old 09-24-14, 05:30 PM
Thanks, fairbanks56. I'm familiar with up to 96V DC having done automotive customization in another life including hydraulic suspension systems. Just never have done a lot with AC outside of just simple stuff: replacing outlets, installing ceiling fans, etc. AC was my late brother Mike's forte. Now that I think about it, everything was my late brother's forte, especially commercial refrigeration. He was always my long-distance support desk. He just had that kind of mind.

2 years ago both my brothers were diagnosed with cancer less than 30 days apart. Absolutely no family history of cancer anywhere. Mike's quickly spread to his liver &, not even 6 months later, he was gone. My other brother, the one I'm closest to in age, is in the last stages of colon cancer. He just got the word that it's now in his lungs & liver. Since my dad & my father-in-law both died from Alzheimer's/Dementia I'm not sure which disease is worse. With Dementia you see the person themselves disappear day by day which is horrifying but cancer is its own hell on earth.

Anyway, didn't mean to go down that road. Thanks for the help. I'll go try that right now.

Old 09-24-14, 05:56 PM
OK, absolutely nothing happened when I bypassed the pressure switch although I could hear the timer running. You were right also that the yellow wire has voltage when the dial is in position for the machine to be filling.

One other question came to mind: What about the lead to the lid switch? Did I need to do anything with that or just leave it connected to the pressure switch?

Old 09-24-14, 06:25 PM
Very sorry to hear about your losses and your brother's current condition.

So, it appears you have a faulty timer, specifically, timer contact number 6 which completes the neutral circuit to the motor. The brown wire is for the fill circuit which is working. If your at all familiar with reading wiring diagrams, I could show you where the problem is, otherwise, not worth the effort.

Old 09-25-14, 07:04 AM
Thanks so very much for all your help, fairbank56. You just don't know how much it's appreciated. That also goes to everyone who responded to this thread.

In addition to the money you saved me I learned a couple things, too, and there's no measure of the value of knowledge.

Hope I can repay the help.

Old 10-04-14, 12:20 PM
It's obviously not the timer

Got the new timer in but had been trying to get the exterior windows prepped/puttied/glazed/sanded/painted while we still had nice weather. Other family issues prevented me from getting downstairs to the washer, too, so I just put in the new timer about 10 minutes ago.

It's doing the same thing it was doing prior to the timer replacement. It fills but won't agitate on any cycle nor will it drain, rinse or spin except on Delicate.

I'm just guessing but should I try the pressure switch now? Is it possible both are bad? Well, of course it's possible, but is it likely?

Old 10-04-14, 02:41 PM
Maybe I was a little too hasty. Now there's a different behavior pattern.

The new timer resulted in the machine filling then nothing just like before. Now, however, the timer advances through the cycles but the drum just sits there full of water.

If I set the cycle to "Heavy", after it fills, I can advance the timer one click at a time & go through the basic cycles of agitate, pump/drain & spin but not the rinse cycle fill. But if I set the cycle to "Light" on either Regular or Perm. Press, it just fills and I can't get it to agitate at all, even manually. But I can get it to pump, drain & spin.

Another thing, too, is that I could get the drum to agitate when the dial was pointed at "Normal" between "Heavy" & "Light" but not in the blank space between "Light" & "Rinse".

One final note is that no matter what size load is selected, the drum fills halfway. So I'm pretty sure there's at least some issue with the Pressure Switch.

Old 10-04-14, 03:34 PM
Jump the pressure switch out after washer has filled. If it doesn't start agitating, you got another bad timer. It does sound like you have a problem with the pressure switch but if you jump it out properly, the washer should agitate. Don't know how you jumped them but the jumper needs to be a piece of wire with male quick disconnect terminals on each end that you can plug the wire terminals from the pressure switch wires into. Must be clean tight connections as it must carry full motor current which is very high when motor is starting.

Old 10-06-14, 10:55 AM
Jump the pressure switch out after washer has filled.....Don't know how you jumped them but the jumper needs to be a piece of wire with male quick disconnect terminals on each end that you can plug the wire terminals from the pressure switch wires into.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz3FNrt8Oa8
Hopefully this will remove any doubt as to what I have done thus far & how I did it.

• I made my jumper out of about 3.5" of 12 ga wire (multi-stranded) with insulated alligator clips on each end
  • After the washer filled, I stopped it by pushing in the timer knob. I unplugged the machine
  • Next, I disconnected the two outer terminals from the pressure switch, connected my jumper to the two female spade terminals of the wires
  • Plugged the washer in
  • Pulled out the timer knob to continue the wash cycle

The timer runs all the way through to stop. But nothing else happens after filling unless I manually advance the timer knob to the final drain/spin cycle.

There is no voltage across the jumper when machine is plugged in & "running". The brown lid switch wire has 120V & appears to stay hot regardless whether the outer wires are connected. Neither the gray nor the yellow have any voltage at any point.

My understanding is that when the machine finishes filling, the timer energizes the yellow wire to start the motor in agitation mode & the gray/white wires are switched to ground/neutral. The brown shouldn't have power at this point so the agitation will stop when the lid's opened?

I guess I got another bad timer?

Old 10-06-14, 02:07 PM
My understanding is that when the machine finishes filling, the timer energizes the yellow wire to start the motor in agitation mode & the gray/white wires are switched to ground/neutral. The brown shouldn't have power at this point so the agitation will stop when the lid's opened?
Not exactly. When you set the timer for wash cycle, all the timer contacts are in place for the washer to run in agitation mode. It doesn't run yet because the neutral circuit to the motor is open. The function of the pressure switch is to complete the neutral circuit either to the fill valves via the brown wire when washer is filling, or to the motor via timer contact 6, which is already closed, via the yellow wire. There should be 120vac on the yellow wire if timer is on, lid is closed and tub is not full.

Old 10-07-14, 10:15 AM
OK, kind of a rough 24 hours, especially for my wife who had to resuscitate me after my blood sugar inexplicably dropped down to 24. Thanks to her, I live to fight another day-with the washer. I wish I could say such episodes don't happen often but no matter what I do they still periodically occur. I think I put "brittle" in "Brittle Diabetic".

Anyway, Timer is on, lid is closed, washer is filling but not yet full:
The yellow wire on the switch reads 120V
The brown wire shows no voltage

Is that the way it should be? And, I guess most importantly, am I still in need of a timer?

Thanks & off to the laundromat

Old 10-07-14, 02:14 PM
Wow, that's low! I am hypoglycemic myself and have been down to the upper 30's. Can usually tell it's dropping when it gets to 70 but sometimes it drops real fast and I start shaking, sweating and lightheaded, need sugar fast.

Anyway, yes, readings are correct. When washer stops filling, yellow wire should drop to 0 volts and brown wire will have 120. Timer should start advancing and motor should start in agitation direction. If not, but washer still drains/spins ok, then looks like timer.

Old 10-07-14, 03:55 PM
It's a miserable feeling isn't it? My worst episodes always seem to come on overnight. My "record" is 16 & everyone was amazed that my heart didn't stop. Before I went on an insulin pump I could be in the 20s & not know it. Now I usually know once I get below 100 but it doesn't work when I'm asleep.

Fortunately as long as I eat something "carby" before I go to bed there's usually not a problem. Usually have cheese, crackers & grapes or similar but my paraplegic mother - in-law has been having issues & neither of us made it to the store.

OK I'll get another timer on the way & return this one. Hopefully that will get everything back to "normal" around here.

Thanks again for your help & patience. Good luck with your hypoglycemia.

Old 10-11-14, 11:45 AM
Just wanted to follow up to close this thread if nothing else.

Got the timer in yesterday. Installed it about a half hour ago. So far, so good. It immediately started agitating after it filled. Got to do some more checking to see if it might need a new pressure switch but the main thing is that the washer is useable again.

Thanks so very much again for all your help!!

Have a great weekend, Halloween & holidays! Hope I can pay it forward!!

Old 10-11-14, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, Glad it fixed.

Old 10-12-14, 08:21 AM
After roughly 24 hours & several loads of laundry, everything is A-OK. Pressure Switch appears to be working normally.

Wife was getting to the point of "just buy a new one" which is ridiculous since this one is less than 5 years old.

In the end, $133 is far cheaper than ~$600 any day of the week!

Thanks again!

Old 10-12-14, 08:36 AM
Wife was getting to the point of "just buy a new one" which is ridiculous since this one is less than 5 years old
That washer is probably about 20 years old. Give me the serial number and I can tell you exactly how old it is.

Old 10-14-14, 05:03 PM
Sorry, been trying to help my wife get ready for her trip to Salt Lake City this week on top of my usual endless list of things to get done.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought we bought this washer maybe a year or two after we moved up here in 2006. I know we replaced the dryer in 2011 and the refrigerator in 2012. But I could be mistaken. God only knows how many times I've been wrong.....

Here's the serial:
13359608MM

Old 10-14-14, 05:33 PM
Manufactured in June of 1995

Old 10-15-14, 09:07 AM
Wow. Like I said, God only knows how many times I've been wrong.....

You really know your washers! Guess that speaks for Maytag's dependability(Technically Whirlpool's, I guess), though. And, ~$135 still beats $600 if that fixed the problem & we get a few more years out of it.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Old 10-15-14, 11:09 AM
That's a good ole Maytag dependable care washer you have there, made by Maytag. Whirlpool bought out Maytag in 2006. All Maytags since then are Whirlpool design.

Old 10-15-14, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have one of the last good Maytags. The newer ones even built before Whirlpool had lots of problems.

Old 10-15-14, 07:50 PM
pugsl
You have one of the last good Maytags. The newer ones even built before Whirlpool had lots of problems.

fairbank56
That's a good ole Maytag dependable care washer you have there, made by Maytag. Whirlpool bought out Maytag in 2006. All Maytags since then are Whirlpool design.
From the days before obsolescence was designed in..........Still remember the old "lonely Maytag Repairman" from my youth. Not to mention a host of other products that were built to last but I don't want to get bitter!