Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF989sdam00 Defrosting issue?

Old 09-24-14, 07:28 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF989sdam00 Defrosting issue?

Hello all! I need some help. My refrigerator, model indicated in the title, is acting up. Its a little over a year old and there is ice build up on the heating coils and the fan keeps hitting it. Along with that the icemaker isn't making ice and when i open the door where the icemaker is water leaks out. I was trying to figure out on how to resset the defrost timer, but it's a electronic adaptive defrost timer. I saw where it said unplug the refrigerator and set the thermostat to 0, but I have no idea on how to set the thermostat to 0. I can control the temp with the display board but the lowest it goes is 33 degrees. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't have the money for a repairman. Right now it's not making the noise, but im sure it will start again soon!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 11:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

These problems can be expensive to repair out of warranty. This is a complicated and expensive fridge.
Your fridge does have adaptive defrost technology. It can't be reset..... it works automatically. There are sensors that measure the temperatures of the unit and tell the board when to defrost.

Did your ice maker just stop working now or has it been out for a while ?

W10444924/R-114

Last edited by PJmax; 09-24-14 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 04:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello, I have the same refrigerator model. I got it used a week ago. it may be defective and I don't know the TRUE history. It has dual evaporator. it is not making ice. The freezer is about 24 degrees, the fridge is blowing air at about 37 degrees and at about 40 degrees on the shelves. For the longest time I had no ice. I found a door seal that was pulled out by what looked to be expansion from a soda explosion as it was covered in soda goop where it came apart. I did not notice this initially and fixed it 3 days ago when i saw it. Then I noticed yesterday the freezer door not closed on one side completely. it requires a slam which i will investigate if I can get some ice! Seems like in a 24 hour period the doors have been open a while, covers removed, so it really has not operated a full 24 hours closed as of yet because of things like the soda and the gasket or the door not closing. i checked the evap in back fridge, not frozen...some frost by the upper right on the coils. Checked the freezer and same thing on upper right about 15% and slightly more ice than refrig compartment. I did all the "Diagnostic mode" stuff. Compressor runs 3 speeds, fans all blow. Today I don't see ice at least at the bottom of freezer evap where you can see into there from the cover. I stuck my finger in the ice tray (low profile roof mounted ice-maker with flap to door bin with gasket to separate freezer from fridge) and 1st time just now cracked ice-starting to freeze. Any ideas and thoughts..only error on diagnostics is E1 for ice maker..not cooling...well it is kinda, just not to the 16 degrees the thermister says it needs.

Thanks for any help..>Have a feeling a heap....