GE profile dishwasher not cleaning

Old 09-24-14, 07:34 AM
GE profile dishwasher not cleaning

We have a GE dishwasher that is 6 years old that does not properly clean. I've found suggestions on other sites such as increasing water temperature and reducing detergent based on the hardness of the water and the problem has not been solved. Many of the dishes have to be rewashed. We always rinse before putting them in too which doesn't seem to matter.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Quick question has it always been this way or gradually happened? Dishwasher guys will be in later.

Old 09-24-14, 07:52 AM
Welcome.
GE Profile should be a pretty high end machine.
You shouldn't have to "wash" dishes prior to use. The unit also heats the water.
Try running it empty through a cycle with a cup of CLR, or purchase a bottle of "Dishwasher Magic".
If nothing else it will clear out most of the mineral deposits from spray arms and so forth.

You'll get better advice from the appliance repair experts here. I'd check back.

Old 09-24-14, 08:47 AM
No it seems to have been gradual. Repair services in this area are so exorbitant that we wanted to get other insight before calling someone in. One other issue that seems to have resolved itself once I increased the water temp is the detergent (we use phosphate free) wasn't dissolving. It's dissolving now but dishes still not cleaning.

Old 09-24-14, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 1
Please define what you mean by cleaning. Are there food particles left, or is it more of a cloudy surface on the dishes, especially glassware?

Old 09-24-14, 12:01 PM
Actually it's both but mostly food particles are left or for instance a butter dish still had a film of butter on it.

Old 09-24-14, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 1
First, follow Handyone's advice, if your dispenser is working properly, you should get clean dishes. Listen the next time you run it. If the detergent door opens too soon, your "soap" could be lost during a rinse cycle.

For cloudy glasses, we use Finish Quantum tablets. That eleiminated our cloudy dishware.

Old 09-26-14, 05:24 AM
Do I out the cup of clr in the soap dispenser and should I dilute it at all? Clr is calcium, Lime Rust, correct?

Old 09-26-14, 05:45 AM
Yes, It's what you said, CLR.
Just pour it in bottom and start machine, full strength.

I stopped using powder detergent in the dishwasher years ago. Now, I don't even like the Creamy liquid type. I use the Cascade pouches, they clean the dishes and the machine.

A tip: When the wash ends, and you open the door, the interior should be very hot (even with dry turned off). If this isn't the case, you can post back.

Old 09-26-14, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Many of these machines have a screen in the sump area that becomes clogged and causes poor circulation. Post your model number here and I can give you better information.

Make sure your drain line is fastened up high under the counter. If it's not the unit won't fully drain properly, the interior becomes smelly and the drain lines builds up crud.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 09-26-14, 08:28 AM
It's model number PDW8200N00BB

Old 09-26-14, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Affresh for dishwashers. is also a great cleaning product.

In the following link you'll see a diagram and if you click on "view full size" it will open in a new window. Click on the diagram for exploded view. Navigate with the cursor arrows.

You are concerned with # 502/coarse filter and # 507/fine filter. These need to be clean.
Part # 325 is the pump that may need to be removed and checked for clogs along with the drain hose.

GE Dishwasher Motor-pump mechanism Parts | Model PDW8200N00BB | Sears Parts Direct

Old 11-03-14, 11:54 AM
Thank you for all these replies. My husband has not had an opportunity to check the sump pump and drain lines for any clogs but he plans to soon. None of the other suggestions worked so this appears to be our last chance. If the problem is not with a clog, are we most likely looking at replacing the appliance?