Dishwasher arms not spinning

Old 09-27-14, 06:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher arms not spinning

I bought it from a scratch and dent store but I haven't installed it right away. This evening I hooked everything up, it loads water but none of the arms are spinning. Once the water finishes loading there is total silence. I hope it is not a total waste of money because the 6 months warranty has expired. It is a Whirlpool model #GU2275XTVY0.

PS - For the electric I used the exact instructions as advised in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZNNTsXBxs

I removed the arms, I looked for dirt or clogs; everything is clear. The arms don't get powered up.

Could somebody explain how they operate so I could know what to look for before I unhook it? How many motors does it have? Is it possible that a wire from the manufacturer is loose? Unlike the video at the link above, in the metal box I had one set of wires, so the set up was easy other than meticulous. From the outside the box they were feeding two wires each, manufacturer set up, but they were wrapped up very tight from what I remember. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by tiana; 09-27-14 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-14, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I know it's a scratch and dent unit but was it brand new..... not bought as a used appliance ?
A brand new appliance.... whether bought as a scratch and dent or out of a showroom carries the same manufacturers warranty.

How did they arrive at the 6 month warranty ?

Your electric connection is fine or the unit wouldn't have filled with water.
There are two motors in the unit,.... one is a drain pump and the other is the high pressure wash pump.
Does the CANCEL/drain button work ?

Old 09-27-14, 10:04 PM
T
Thank you for replying PJmax!

The dishwasher was gifted to me by my aunt and uncle four years ago. It has a few dents and I could tell it was a store return (some detergent on the inside). As I moved into a badly damaged, filled with mold foreclosure and had to fix everything myself, I had no kitchen cabinets for the most part. Only now I could finally put the dishwasher into place.

We did test it back then but now realize it's been doing the same thing it does now. It fills with water and it drains. When the control panel sends the command to start spinning nothing moves. I can hear the control panel sending the command and it ends right there.

Yes, the Cancel/drain works perfectly. I suppose the high pressure pump might not be working? Could it be a poor connection someplace? Where is the pump located?

Old 09-28-14, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Ohhhh.... ok.

Here is the link for your unit.
WHIRLPOOL Undercounter Dishwasher Pump and motor Parts | Model GU2275XTVY0 | SearsPartsDirect

Part 15 is the drain pump and part 18 will be the main pump motor. It could be as simple as the plug connection to the motor is apart or a broken wire near the pump. The main pump is underneath the unit.

Old 09-28-14, 06:45 PM
T
I checked all exposed connections, everything was fine. Between starting to learn how everything functions and getting another dishwasher I opted for getting an inexpensive, used dishwasher off craigslist, similar model on the inside, with the controls on the face of the door. I shall live with it as long as it works properly.

I just finished installing it and I can hear the arms spinning while loading the water, something my scratch and dent didn't do. Maybe one day, down the road I will try to fix it.

Thank you ever so much for your feedback PJmax!

Old 09-28-14, 08:03 PM
T
It didn't work out. The second hand dishwasher leaves a white film on everything. I am drained. I will start a new thread tomorrow.

Old 09-28-14, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
It may need to be cleaned. You can run a quart of white vinegar thru it or pick up some Affresh for dishwashers. Actually, there are many dishwasher cleaners on the market. Double the dose the first time you clean it.

You're in Florida.... dump in a gallon or two of Florida's best orange juice.

You also need to make sure the drain hose is connected up high under the counter top.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 09-28-14, 08:25 PM
T
I'll run some vinegar to clean it up. I'll also raise the hose as high as possible. Thanks!

Last edited by tiana; 09-28-14 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... a new way to make OJ.

At least a quart of vinegar.... up to two quarts.

Old 10-22-14, 02:09 PM
T
Thanks again PJmax! I ended not trying the vinegar, the dishwasher went back the second day.