GE Dishwasher leaking from left and right bottom corners of door

Old 10-04-14, 03:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Dishwasher leaking from left and right bottom corners of door

Model number of GE dishwasher: PDWT380V00SS
The dishwasher was installed by GE in December 2012 and we have had 4 repairs on it so far.

1) 12/31/2012 - leaking door (2weeks after installation)
2) 01/06/2013 - EPROM replacement
3)06/03/2014 - loud noise (it was the insulation falling down and jamming the motor
4) Now it is leaking again.

The first time for leaking it was dripping from the bottom corner of each door. Service tech said it was a bad design and fixed it by adding silicon calk to the left and right side of the door jab where the robber seal butts into the slot. The leak stopped but I said I did not like a fix like this because the problem will come back over time. Now time has lapsed and so has the warranty. Here is what I have done. I check the level on the left and right side and it was not level. I adjusted the legs to get the left and right level and also the door when in the fully down position. It really started to leak then. So I checked my work and yes it is level. I re-calked where the service tech calked. Now I'm wondering if the rubber seal was not a good seal to begin with. I noted the rubber seal has a wire that runs across the bottom from side to side. Is this suppose to be there or should that have been removed after installation? I went to a home appliance store and did not see the wire on any GE dishwashers. I'm looking for advice on what to do next...replace the seal and remove the calk? Attached are pics of the left, right and under the dishwasher.

Thanks in advance...Charley

Name:  LeftSide.jpg
Views: 19085
Size:  37.9 KBName:  RightSide.jpg
Views: 20179
Size:  35.6 KBName:  UnderDoor.jpg
Views: 16308
Size:  13.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
I've seen the rinse agent dispenser cause the door to leak water but that doesn't appear to be the problem here. I can't comment on the silicone added as it may have been something GE requested their service people to do. I'm not an authorized GE serviceman so I'm not privvy to their updates.

Personally, I'd replace the gasket. If it's not needed now it will be in the future.

In looking thru GE updates I came across their warranty. Your washer fits the description and should be applicable for factory service.

Name:  ge.jpg
Views: 10888
Size:  45.8 KB

Old 10-04-14, 05:27 PM
C
I'm not sure what would fall under the warranty? The place where it is leaking...is that considered the door liner? I'm may try replacing the gasket but it was leaking when brand new with a new gasket....so it almost feels like a bandaid approach...especially when I have had dishwashers for many years and never once did I have to replace the door gasket.

Old 10-04-14, 06:15 PM
The place where it is leaking...is that considered the door liner? I'm may try replacing the gasket
I wouldn't touch it. PJ may have handed you a gold mine here. If you look at warranty info he posted, bottom left. It states Lifetime for models PDW.
Warranty covers door liner and tub. I'm no appliance repair expert, but I've seen enough dishwashers to pretty much know it has to be leaking from one of these.
The only way I can think of that it wouldn't be covered is if the dishwasher is flooding. By this I mean the seal is designed to prevent water from escaping out bottom front. But it will not do it's job if bottom of dishwasher is flooded due to another problem.

Old 10-05-14, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
You have to understand..... appliances aren't built to the same quality standards they were years ago.

so it almost feels like a bandaid approach.
In that case call GE customer service. If you aren't happy with the machine then they are the only ones that can help you.

I don't know if your machine is under warranty because they may consider any problem other then a visible crack in the stainless as out of warranty. It certainly is worth a call and tell them that it was already repaired for the same problem.