Samsung freezer not cooling

Old 10-06-14, 09:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Samsung freezer not cooling

Hi,
I have had this Samsung fridge about 4 years and it hasn't given me any trouble until now. It started by not making ice regularly then the food in the freezer portion began showing signs of thawing. I unplugged it for about 5 minutes and turned it back on. The upper fridge portion seems to be cooling back down but the lower freezer portion isn't. I took everything out of the fridge thinking it may be a circulation issue but that hasn't helped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Drew
Samsung
Rfg298aars

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-14, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does the unit have good airflow ? It uses at least two fans so it should have good airflow.
Is the fridge side ok ?

SAMSUNG Refrigerator Freezer Parts | Model RFG298AARS | SearsPartsDirect

Old 10-07-14, 06:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome! The unit seems to have plenty of circulation around it. But there something funny about it. I totally cleaned out the bottom freezer thinking the issue was isolated to it, but the top part is still not making making ice. It is cool but not as cold as usual. I checked the temp on the front and it said -2 for bottom and 34 for top. I then unplugged it for about a min or two and plugged it back in. The temps then read 26 and 45. Do you think it could be something wrong with thermostat? I also do not feel any air movement in either one. I have no idea what's going on with it.

Old 10-07-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
It certainly couldn't have gone from -2 to 26 in a few minutes. At -2 the bottom was actually ok but the top is running warm. I believe you have a bottom coil in that unit. There could possibly be a damper that is sticking between the top and the bottom sections.

It may have gone into defrost when you plugged it back in.