Dryer won't start after heavy load

Old 10-07-14, 09:42 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer won't start after heavy load

Last Sunday I was doing laundry and was down to my last load, was bigger then I would have liked but was tired and just wanted to get done (lesson learned, will do two smaller loads in the future). It made it through the washer just fine and then I put it in the dryer.

I don't know how long it was going in the dryer, as I started the dryer and then walked away. Came back a half an hour later or so and opened the dryer to find the clothes still wet. I then tried to start the dryer again and it wouldn't start up and it hasn't started since.

I went to the fuse box and tried flipping the fuse along with moving the dryer and unplugging it.

I don't have the exact model on hand with me right now, it's a GE Electric Dryer that has one of those twist start switches. When I twist it to start nothing happens, no noises or any indication that it's even trying to start.

Before I call in a professional repair, is there anything that I can do/check that isn't too intensive that could be the issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-14, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Please get model # GE dryer knobs break very easily. Make sure the knob is turning start switch. Next is to turn breaker all the way off and back on. Sometimes they look good and still are tripped. If you have a volt meter check for 240 volts at back of dryer. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-07-14, 03:03 PM
A
GE EED4500D0WW

The knob isn't broken, have had that happen on a different machine and it's definitely not that. Turned all the breakers for the basement off and back on again - didn't make a difference. I also tried holding the door switch in and that didn't do anything. I don't have a volt meter I'm afraid.

Old 10-07-14, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Will need a multi meter to go any farther. Cheap one is 10, 12 bucks at harbor freight. One other thing reach in drum and turn it by hand if turns very free you may have broken belt. Your dryer has belt switch and will not run if broken.

Old 10-07-14, 05:22 PM
F
Dryer motor should start regardless of belt/belt switch and should stay running as long as start switch is held on. Set timer to timed cycle. Does timer knob advance? If not, there's either no power to the dryer (open L1 or open neutral) or the timer is faulty.

Last edited by fairbank56; 10-07-14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-08-14, 07:37 AM
A
The timer turns and clicks like normal, I'll check the drum to see if that turns freely or not.

And will start looking at multi meters to purchase.

Old 10-08-14, 12:14 PM
F
So, you have power if timer is advancing. When you get your meter, unplug dryer, turn timer on, check for continuity between timer B and C terminals. Check for continuity between timer C terminal and start switch terminal 4. If good, hi limit thermostat is good. Check continuity between start switch terminals 4 and 2. Should be open but should have continuity while holding start switch on. If all good, check continuity between power plug neutral (angled blade) and start switch terminal 2 (red wire). This checks door switch and motor windings.