Maytag Dryer Will Tumble but No Heat - Found Burnt Wires

Old 10-07-14, 10:34 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Dryer Will Tumble but No Heat - Found Burnt Wires

Thanks all in advance for any input.

Maytag Dryer model # MDET236A

The drum will turn but there is zero heat. I tested the thermal fuse, heating element assembly, high limit thermostat and cycling thermostat with a multimeter - all turned out fine. I opened the control panel and discovered that the red wire that runs from the selector switch to the timer was burnt out and had green corrosion at the point of contact with the timer. Follow-up inspection revealed a discolored wire at the terminal block. Find pictures here:

http://imgur.com/a/IOxFL

Any theories as to what happened? Will it be sufficient to replace this red cable? Is the timer fried? Do I have an issue at the terminal block as well? If so, do the terminal block and/or plug have to be replaced as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-14, 11:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Burned connections where the power cord connects is a popular problem. It's usually caused by a loose terminal screw. The block itself is un-damaged but the power cord needs to be replaced as the left hand wire is corroded and almost gone.

If you have more corrosion damage at the timer then you must have extremely high humidity or water issues. If the terminal on the timer is burned then the timer may have to be replaced too. You could post a picture of the timer.

Your timer and motor run on 120volts and are connected to the right hand terminal at the power cord. That's why everything works except the heat. The heater element requires 240vac to operate.

You could replace that wire with a piece of #12 THHN wire and new crimp terminals.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-08-14 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-08-14, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
To add to PJmax said terminal block looks good but after they heat up like yours did sometimes the screw will not turn. If that is the case you will have to replace block. Any appliance parts store will have it. Somebody has already replaced screw in middle, Make sure all the screws are tight.

Old 10-08-14, 08:09 AM
A
Thank you PJmax and pugsl! I will attempt to locate a replacement power cord and #12 THHN wire.

If I could lean on your expertise a bit more: does this problem represent a fire hazard? The red wire running from the selector switch to the timer was burnt pretty badly (as you can see in the pics).

And do you think the problem originated at the terminal block and then fried the red wire in the control panel? I don't want to replace the power cord and wire, and then potentially have this happen again.

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with me!

Old 10-08-14, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
A loose connection at the terminal block is pretty common. The wire corroding at the timer is extremely unusual and I'm not sure how it happened. I extracted a part of your picture. The power cord is corroded too. If these two connections are badly corroded.... what does the rest of the machine look like inside.... wiring wise ?

Was the burned red wire on that exact terminal with the red arrow ?

Name:  dryer.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  29.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-08-14 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-08-14, 09:13 AM
A
The remaining wires in the control panel appear to be in normal working order - no signs of corrosion or burning.

Within the body of the dryer, all wires and connections appeared fine. there was a lot of lint, and some of it had gotten up into the heating coils and burned. Perhaps this was a contributing factor.

I've uploaded more pics from the control panel. See link here: http://imgur.com/a/yujw4

Pic 1: The control panel as a whole, with the timer on the left and the selector switch on the right. Absent is the red burnt wire.

Pic 2: The right side of the timer. Appears ok to me.

Pic 3: The left side of the timer. The burnt red wire was plugged into the vacant slot marked "RD" and I think you can see some scorching.

Pic 4: the selector switch. The vacant slot is where the red wire went. It was not burnt on this end.

I don't see your extracted pic but if you re-post it I can answer your questions.

Thanks again!

Old 10-08-14, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
The red wire went from timer to selector switch? Wires usually heat up because the connection was not tight either at timer or wire plug. Replace wire , clean terminal on timer, light sand paper, Before you go to get plug cord make sure all the screws turn. should not be fire hazard but all lint is burnable. When you restart dryer you will smell a burning but just lint burning off heater coils. Have never started one without it.

Old 10-08-14, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry about the missing picture. You answered my red wire question.

Your wiring at the timer shows some oxidation but minimal.
I agree with pugsi on the loose terminals causing the burning wires.

So the power cord at the connecting block is not really involved in the red wire problem. It's good you spotted it as now is a good time to repair it.

Old 10-08-14, 07:21 PM
A
Follow-up: I purchased a universal dryer cord and two feet of the #12 HTTN cable from a local appliance parts store. I connected them in the appropriate slots and like magic, the heat is back!

One more big thank you to pugsl and PJmax for their invaluable insight and advice.

Old 10-08-14, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Nice job Thanks for letting us know how you made out.