no washing KitchenAid Dishwasher

Old 10-13-14, 04:19 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
no washing KitchenAid Dishwasher

Need some help.

Before I tear into this thing maybe someone here can tell me what might be wrong.

Item: KitchenAid Dishwasher model KUDI02IRBL4

Problem: About 2 weeks ago we hear a grinding noise. (Should've look at it then ). But the unit still worked. Over the past day or two the noise got less and less. But it was still working. Today it stopped. Pulled out the baskets and dis-assembled the accumulator assembly. Pulled out a wire twist tie and a marble size ball of tin foil along with a few bits of paper towel. The arms and water feed tubes are clear. Put it back together and tried it. The tub fills with hot water, stops for a second then a buzzing sound takes place as if the pump wants to go but can't (solenoid type sound). It appears no water is getting to the washer pump. It seems the pump is seized. However, the dishwasher will empty if the current cycle is cancelled. So that tells me the motor is running and the pump is running. So what item is seized that prevents water from going into the arms to spin and wash?

Reference parts list at: https://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalas...0W10128175.pdf

I'm keying in on the Pump and Motor parts as seen on page 9 of 14. I suspect the impeller is seized or the key holding it to the shaft is sheared. But is this impeller also needed to empty the tub? If so then that's not the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Norm.... your machine has a drain pump and a wash pump. Your drain pump is working fine but your main pump sounds like something is stuck in it.

Use the following link.... Sears parts direct/Kitchenaid-Dishwasher-Parts/Model-KUDI02IRBL4

After the link opens..... click on "full size" under the diagram. The diagram will open in a new page. Click on that new diagram for an exploded view. You can use your cursor and arrow keys to navigate.

Part 17 is the drain pump and part 20 is the main pump. Part 6 is the chopper and most likely where the problem is.

Check out the following video. It's a Whirlpool machine but same as yours. Shows how to replace the circulator pump motor. You can use to remove for cleaning. You tube/watch?v=AUc8CTpb9m0

If the pump/sump area is damaged it can be replaced as an assembly shown in the following video. You tube/watch?v=B9eRHx0zAAI

Old 10-14-14, 03:30 AM
Thanks, PJ. Tonight I'll look over the info you gave me. I'll be off work tomorrow and will tear it down. If need be I'll buy parts at AP Wagner. They usually have most items in stock.

Old 10-15-14, 07:26 AM
Removed the circulation pump. PJ, that video you referred me to is just perfect. Made the removal very easy. However it's not an exact duplicate of the KitchenAid machine. There are a few minor differences. One is the chopper assembly that inserts into the pump end is loose on my machine. (see photo) And you'll notice the screen is open on the middle and not part of chopper assembly (Could it be broke? It doesn't seem as though it is.). However, the parts list on both the KitchenAid and Whirlpool show it as one assembly. Also that screen is locked into the base of the accumulator assembly.

If it's not broken, then how would I line it up to insert the new motor?
Hmm...After taking a second look at the chopper assembly, maybe it is what broke. Remember that ball of tin foil I mentioned in my first post? I wonder?

EDIT....After looking at some more repair videos, there is no doubt that the chopper is damaged.

To get back to the circulator pump/motor. It appears the motor bearings are failing. Although I can spin the shaft, it spins rough and seems to catch at one point as if rubbing metal to metal. It would be nice to bench test it but I'm not sure how to hook up 120 volt to it.

Now here's the kicker, a new pump will cost me between $140 to $166 and if the chopper needs replacing that's just over $20. The unit was bought in 2007, so that's 7 years old. Is it worth fixing or just buy a new unit. I figure a new unit of the same quality (ultra silent package) will run about $600 to $700.

Last edited by Norm201; 10-15-14 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added notes
Old 10-15-14, 07:34 AM
Did a quick search on E-Bay. I can get the unit for around $120. Even as low as $50 used. The chopper will run me about $13.00. I'll talk to the wife, but she'll tell me to do what I think is best.

Old 10-15-14, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Replace or repair I leave up to wife but if my choice I would repair. Even at 160 that's about 20 year for repair.

Old 10-15-14, 08:53 AM
Yes, pugsi, you're probably right. Most likely that's the way I'll go. I'll get the E-Bay parts. It's a slight risk, but the cost is minimal.

Old 10-20-14, 02:57 PM
Conclusion. Received new pump last week. Replacement chopper arrived today. Installed both parts and units runs like new.

Old 10-20-14, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Norm... it must seem like I was ignoring you but for some reason I don't always see threads.

Glad you repaired it.... good job.

Old 10-20-14, 04:38 PM
Not to worry. That video you referred me to was just perfect.