Dishwasher woes, venting frustration....

Old 10-14-14, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher woes, venting frustration....

I have a 13 month old dishwasher (Whirlpool WDF310PAAB4) No workie. Whirlpool nice enough to cover the repair under warranty 1 month expired... turned out the tech feels the control board needs replacement. The only thing is the wait... 1 week for diagnosis and another week to come back with part. That sucks. I would ask them to send me the board and I could plug it in myself but I am not even certain if the appliance guy diagnosed it correctly.

Got me to thinking though, a control board a pretty major thing no? I assume if I had to pay for that it would mean the dishwasher would go to the scrap heap since it was 300 bucks to begin with. Not knowing how much a service call is I would assume one repair at most is what these appliances get these days before turning to trash.

My question to you, when is replacement a better idea?
Why the hell would a 1 year old dishwasher need a new control board!!!!! How abnormal is that?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
It happens. Not totally normal but not all that unusual. Sometimes a component fails sooner than it should. They're probably designed to last 5 or 10 years but in every thousand control boards there's probably one that will die in a year. I've had a Bosch dishwasher control board go bad in less than a year and also one on a Maytag stove that went within a few weeks of new. So, it can happen to other brands as well.

When to replace really depends on you and the appliance especially once it is out of warranty. A control board will cost about the same for a cheap and expensive dishwasher. For the cheap model a new board may be 50% the price of a new machine but for a higher end model it might be 15% in which case repair makes more sense. In addition to replacing the component don't forget the removal and installation hassle of getting a new appliance.

Old 10-14-14, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
When the price of repair reaches 1/2 the price of the machine... you replace it. The control board for that machine is under $100.... which is inexpensive as far as control boards go. Some control boards have a fusible link on them that opens on an overload. I can't find a diagram or even a picture of your board.

Old 10-14-14, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some control boards have a fusible link on them that opens on an overload.
Im hoping it is the control board as that is what the tech deemed it to be. It has power, you can toggle thru the settings but it does not begin the cycle. Power was found to the board but not out of the board if that makes any sense.