Help with my Kitchen Aid fridge

Old 10-16-14, 09:41 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with my Kitchen Aid fridge

I have a built in side by side fridge and I'm getting a bit concerned about it..

The fridge seems to be constantly running, I hear a clicking sound from time to time and it'll stop, then start again. I'm no repair man, but used to deliver appliances while in High School. from what I remember this usually precedes the compressor failing...

I read in another forum that this could be the controller board failing... Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts.. I took the front top off last weekend and blew out everything.

Model number: KSS048QMB 02 (Have no idea what this is) The compressor is on top. I always thought that meant it's a "Sub Zero"

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-14, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The unit stopping and clicking sounds like it's defrosting. Is the fridge holding temperature ?

Old 10-17-14, 11:38 AM
A
Yeah Temps on both the freezer and the fridge are fine..

Old 10-17-14, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Your model number is KSSO48QMB02

Your fridge uses an inverter to control the compressor. The variable frequency drive of the inverter controls the speed of compressor motor. The compressor is specifically designed to run at different motor speeds to modulate cooling output.

I'm not really familiar with the exact operation of this system. I know how it works but I don't know if the compressor is designed to run at all times and only shut down on defrost. You said it appears that the compressor seems to run all the time. Did you notice if it had run at slower speeds or seemed a little quieter in the past ?

You cleaned the coils at the top. Did you notice if the fan was clean and running ?

In the following link is the exploded view of the moving air system. Do you feel air moving thru the fridge air vent ? There is a fan at the top of the air duct. It's part 3 in the picture. That needs to be running.

I think I'd remove part 25 and visually observe the evaporator coil to make sure it's not frozen over.

KITCHENAID Built-In Refrigerator/Freezer-Parts | Model KSSO48QMB02 | SearsPartsDirect

Old 10-18-14, 10:13 AM
A
Thanx.

Before last week I’d hear the fridge run once or twice a night for a few minutes. It was about the same sound, maybe a little quieter.. Now it’s running on and off 24/7. Meaning it’ll run, click off and immediately start running again, so not really that much louder, just constant running.

Last night the refrigerator side was warmer than usual and we can’t adjust the temp the lights just flash and go back to what they were. My wife keeps the fridge super cold (To cold if you ask me). The Freezer side seems to be functioning normal… So far.

The fan had a little dirt film covering, I didn’t think it was to bad, and it is turning and moving out warm air and I do feel air flowing thru the fridge.

Is that diagram the back of the unit? This thing is in a hole and to get it out we have to remove both doors…… Which I am most likely going to do anyways at some point in the near future..

We have Whirlpool scheduled to be here on Thursday this week…;(

Old 10-18-14, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... the joys of a built in.

In that diagram the evap cover is in the back of the fridge.

Old 10-22-14, 08:15 AM
A
Turns out my wife's uncle repairs appliances (refrigerators included)...........oi

So he was over last night. We removed a metal panel from the back of the freezer side that had a fan underneath, looks like the diagram. Was some ice underneath the panel. I'm not sure what's considered "A LOT" of ice, but I didn't think it was that bad. He told me that when the panel was removed some fell from the fan area. Which could have been adding to noise, but I didn't think the noise was that much louder to begin with - I was more worried about the running and temps... We took a hair dryer and removed more ice, basically we defrosted the freezer and put everything back together and in. The controls on the fridge side flashed and to me still looked like there's an issue electronically(were NOT flashing this morning).

I still thought it was turning on and off this morning and the fridge side didn't seem that cold, but I'll have to look more tonight. It was 4AM and I had twin 4 month old boys both screaming for milk, didn't really have time to sit and look at it in depth.......

Thanx - I'll repost later hopefully with good news...

Old 10-22-14, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
There shouldn't really be any ice. It could have been due to a clogged drain or a defrost issue.
I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

Old 10-23-14, 05:45 PM
A
Whirlpool guy was here tonight. Said this is a known issue with these units. There is a controller board, Part number: W10219463, that sits on top of the fridge, to the right of the compressor that needs to be replaced / repaired. Luckily for me the board isn't made anymore..

Whirlpool used to have a working relationship with a company out of Illinois, CoreCentric Solutions, where they used to ship the board for repair. Unfortunately Whirlpool broke ties with them for one reason or another.

He left a number for Whirlpool for me to call tomorrow. I'm also going to call the company in IL and see what they say. There's also these boards for sale online.. Which I'd rather not do, but we'll see..

The good news is that he said this shouldn't have a domino affect, but I can't see how this starting and stopping 24x7 is good for the fridge..

Will update when I get more info...

Old 10-24-14, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Was the clicking you heard coming from that box. That box contains the relays that control things like the compressor and the fans. Usually those items wont turn on..... not wont shut off.

Old 10-24-14, 11:11 AM
A
yeah sounded like it. It was up in that area...

So I called Whirlpool today. That part is backordered / not being manufactured... Whatever that means... They connected me to that company in IL.

That customer support rep., cut me off while I was explaining to her what I have and my problem... She says they get a lot of them. So right now it looks like $110 plus shipping there. 2-3 days for repairs then they ship it back and I plug it back in.

We'll see.....

Old 10-24-14, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Earlier I asked about the fan on top of the fridge..... not in it.... on top.
Has that always been working ?

Old 10-30-14, 01:52 PM
A
Sorry for the Delay... Yeah that's always been working it was a little dirty (film on it) but nothing real bad. I'll blow it and vacuum it down again.

So last weekend I was able to roll it out and do some drywall repair, clean and paint the back wall. Still haven't heard anything from the repair place yet. Hoping no news is good news and we get the board back soon.

Old 11-06-14, 09:32 PM
A
Got the controller board back this past Tuesday and put it in... Everything started back up and for 2 days still running great.

So the fix was to ship the board to CoreCentric Solutions, they fixed it (not sure what they did. Looked like some new capacitors... But I couldn't tell) and returned it. After putting it back in so far so good..

ak

Old 11-06-14, 11:44 PM
Group Moderator
That certainly is good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.