No power on LG front-loader

Old 10-20-14, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
No power on LG front-loader

Already have a service call scheduled for Wednesday, but curious if my symptoms suggest anything.

This is an LG front-loader, model # WM214OC

A week ago Saturday wife went to do laundry and got nothing when she hit the power button. I did the usual circuit breaker check, etc without seeing anything. Then I unplugged it and plugged it back in after a few seconds. When I did I got a pretty good spark at the outlet and the unit powered up without hitting the power button. Called the # on the x-warrantee, but they were closed on weekends. Washer worked fine through several loads. Next day, repeat of problem. Thinking maybe I had an outlet issue, I plugged into a different outlet within reach of the cord. Same arcing issue and unit powered up. Periodically last week I would push the power button to see if it would power up and it did every time until yesterday. Got it powered back with same unplug-wait-replug method. Still got small arc when plugging back in, but working now. I'm really hoping it will go out again before Wednesday morning so the tech gets it in its "dead" condition.

I'm thinking power supply or circuit board maybe?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-14, 09:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Main control board or user interface. Usually the main board. Have replaced many. Most newer washers with computer controls will spark when plugged in.

Old 10-20-14, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Thanks. After I posted the tech who was assigned called to verify the model & serial number and I asked him if the symptoms immediately set off bells and he said, oh yeah, common failure mode; just has to order parts and then schedule visit.