Maytag fridge-bad compressor? -MSD2655HES

Old 10-23-14, 08:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag fridge-bad compressor? -MSD2655HES

How hard is it to troubleshoot and replace a refrigerator compressor ? Tech wants $600 and I am not even sure he is correct about the diagnosis. I am very handy and got tools. Maytag model MSD2655HES. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-14, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
What's the unwanted behavior you're experiencing?

Old 10-23-14, 09:04 AM
It is not cooling. Lights come on. I can hear the fan. But no cold air at all.

Old 10-24-14, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
You cannot change the compressor. That is some highly specialized work. $600 to replace a $345 compressor is not too far off. The age of the fridge needs to be considered before putting in that much money.

You will need to roll unit away from wall. You'll will need to confirm if fan under the unit is running. If the fan is running then it is a compressor problem. If the fan is not running then the problem is in the controls.

If the fan is running.... look for the two wires going to the compressor. We'll need to check them for 120vac power.

In the picture below is your compressor. At this point make sure unit is unplugged. Remove the cover where the arrow is showing. That's the compressor starting relay/overload area. Easy to measure for power here.

Name:  comp.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  35.0 KB

The video below is not your exact unit but is very similar and will show you the steps you need to follow to remove/check the start relay. Once the starter is out you can usually hear if it rattles if bad or it could look or smell burned.

If the tech did not remove this piece from the compressor while testing... then he is assuming the compressor is bad. Once this piece is out of the compressor there are three terminals that connect to the compressor motor windings. We'll address testing that if/when you get to that area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f7otYv7bhU

Old 10-24-14, 10:32 AM
Thank you so much for using your valuable time to respond to my post. I will do the testing tomorrow and hopefully find out that in fact it is not a bad compressor !

Old 10-25-14, 07:25 PM
Here is what I did: I disconnected the relay from the compressor. I do have 120v across the relay's two white wires. I measured resistance between the compressor's three terminals. They are in range and the unit is not shorted to ground. Resistance between the relay's two white wires is 6 ohms. Then I reconnected the relay. Surprisingly, now the compressor seems to run. The noise is a bit low but it was not there before. I kept the frige on for 4 hours but still it is not cooling. At this point I am confused. Can a marginal relay make the compressor run but not cool ? How can I know if I am low on coolant fluid in the compressor ? Will a amp test on the relay wires tell me anything ? Thank you.

Old 10-26-14, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
The compressor is either running or it's not. If it was sitting there humming and not running it should get red hot and shut down on thermal overload.

Is the compressor getting warm or hot ?
Check the connecting copper lines.
Check the amperage of the motor. It should jump up at start and settle in.

The compressor would sit there and run, get slightly warm and the box would stay warm if you had no refrigerant.