washer started shaking after replacing belt

Old 10-27-14, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
washer started shaking after replacing belt

Hi!

We are in Peru and have a top-load washing machine Electrolux EWIF142CELS.
We wash a lot and recently the washing machine stopped spinning well, squeaking and smelling like rubber.

Because i am in Peru i wanted to avoid getting a mechanic at all cost. I ordered a new belt, which came in a set with some other things. I replaced the belt and the metal 'ring' the belt lays in.

The washing machine then worked great again. But only i noticed quickly that when spinning it started vibrating and created a knocking sound (probably hitting the side?). I tried to rearrange the load, but didn't help. Then i left it run anyway. Then a later wash, it started to suddenly shake véry violently, definitely something seriously wrong. When it washes it's fine, but when starting to speed up for spinning it starts to shake violently and the machine gives an error and stops.

I believe it has to do with changing the belt, or having had the mashine on it's side when doing the replacement.

Here are pictures, looking into the machine from the bottom:
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  29.4 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  22.6 KB

What could i check? Thank you so much!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-14, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I can't get your model # to work in US, Numbers different here. Looks like a similar washer we have that have had drive shifter and bearing problems. Not sure if that is your problem

Old 10-27-14, 07:15 PM
i imagine. i have had that problem before. The models are different in south america.

So after the changing of the belt it went straight away into vibrating, and from a little bit quickly into very, very heavily. I hoped this information could help determine the problem.

If it can still be hard to figure out, and if there is no easy fix anyway, then i will have to get a mechanic in..
thank you!

Old 10-27-14, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
You mentioned you laid the machine on its side. You may have a broken spring or a spring that came unhooked.

Old 10-28-14, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the belt cover off and see if the main pulley nut is tight. We have one type the center nut will loosen. It will give that same problem.

Old 10-28-14, 07:57 AM
Ok! If the main pulley is the metal part, that's a part that i have changed also. It was in an awkward position and moved freely, this made it hard to tighten the nut. I am surely going to check that. Gotta find the springs then, could they be behind the yellow and green plastic caps? It seems 4 metal strings/metal bars go up behind these where the tub hangs onto. If i turn one of the colored plastic caps i sort of hear a sound of a spring moving..

Old 10-28-14, 01:14 PM
It seems to be solved!
I have checked that pulley nut. It seemed to be fine, i could wiggle the pulley a tiny little bit. I have given it an extra bit of tightening.
I couldn't find any springs! The tub is just hanging on 4 thin metal bars! It seems i can turn these 4 colored caps, but not sure if it's actually doing something although i think to hear a spring moving. Maybe it is for tightening or adjusting?
When putting it back on it's place i have leveled the machine a bit, but just on my eyesight. I don't have a water level. I remembered to have screwed all it's feet back in last time.
It worked well afterwards! So i think it has been the machine not being leveled. I will go and borrow a water level now and doublecheck. All good for now.
Thank you very much!

Old 10-28-14, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Springs are built into the green and yellow parts. Don't need a level just make sure all 4 feet are solid on floor and looks level.

Old 10-29-14, 03:24 PM
Did another wash and worked fine! Thank you!

So there are springs behind these 4 colored caps. Is it possible that you can do adjustment in there? I can't seem to get the caps off, anyway not easily. Or can you only replace them if needed? Just wondering..

Old 10-29-14, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The whole rods are replaced, no adjustments.