GE Washing Machine Question/Leak

Old 10-31-14, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Washing Machine Question/Leak

We've had issues with our 1 year old GE Washing machine it's first year. Just a handful of times, we notice that there is a leak at the bottom of the washer of soap/water mix.

But it looks like i figured out why it does this. It only happens during the spin cycle and also when my wife does the laundry. Long story short, found that my wife just dumps the detergent into the machine without measuring. So when it goes into spin, the whole thing is full of soapy suds that don't drain all the way out.

So my question is, the leak from the bottom of the machine a fail safe for GE washers in case of too much soap/detergent in the machine? That is the only logical conclusion I can think of of why it was leaking from the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-14, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
post model # so I can see which washer you have. All new washers are suds sensitive. Most call for HE soap.

Old 10-31-14, 12:01 PM
here is the model # : GTWN2800D1WW - we are using HE soap at least from what it says on the bottle. Costco brand.

Old 10-31-14, 12:54 PM
There is an overflow tube that runs from near the top of the outer tub to the bottom of the machine. You must follow the directions carefully on the HE detergent. Very little is needed. Too much and you get way too much suds which can cause overflow.

Old 10-31-14, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
If you want check leak. Use a stiff putty knife between top and cabinet. There are 2 spring clips that putty knife slips over and front will pull out.Look for a puddle on bottom usually back left corner. Overflow tube will be in back left. Fairbanks said what I was going to say with model #

Old 10-31-14, 01:12 PM
Great work guys! That's where the leak comes from, the rear left.