Whirlpool oven only warm

Old 11-04-14, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool oven only warm

I have a Whirlpool Xfe371lvs full size range. This is a really cheap unit, with only one heating element. No, I did not get that wrong, it has ONLY an upper heating element, no lower/baking element, the oven uses this one top element for both bake & broil. As I said, cheap POS. ANYway, the oven recently began getting no warmer than about 200 degrees F when on "bake", regardless of the setting, up to 525 deg. The element does not get the usual bright red on BAKE, BUT it DOES get a normal, uniform bright red when set to BROIL. I am assuming from this that the element is fine & there are no issues with supply voltage. What is the likely cause of this problem? Thermostat? Temperature sensor? Control unit? The unit displays no error codes, would I be correct to assume that probably rules out the control unit? I am generally very good at repairing most anything, I have a complete set of tools (multimeters, etc) & am very comfortable working with 240V. What is the best way to test the thermostat & temp sensor? Any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-14, 05:26 PM
More info. When the oven is set to 350, the heating element is turned on very briefly (as indicated by the clicking relays & a VERY slight red glow only visible with no lights on in the area). Measuring the time, the element turns on for 20 seconds at a time, then is off for a minute or so. All the while this is going on, the temp readout continues to rise, eventually displaying 350, even though a thermometer in the oven never goes above 200. I am able to get the actual internal temp up to ~450 by running the oven on "broiler" with the door closed & shutting it down when that temp is reached. This seems to suggest either the temp sending unit (a thermistor, I'm assuming) or the control unit. Ideas?

TIA

Dan

Old 11-04-14, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dan.

The problem definitely sound like a defective temperature sensor. However, I cannot find a model number close to yours. Can you double check it ? Make sure it's complete.

Old 11-04-14, 09:00 PM
Sorry for the typo, model is WFE371LVS. I located the bottom hidden element, never seen that setup before, it reads 24 ohms, disconnected, so I'm guessing that's PROBABLY not the problem, although the element is so buried I haven't uncovered in entirely to check for bulges, etc. What is the point of this element placement? Especially given that the bottom of the inside rear wall is stamped for a boss/screw dimples to mount a "conventional" lower element. Any ideas which part is failed with this added info? Still the temp sensor?

Thanks!

Dan

Old 11-04-14, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
We're getting closer with the model number. It's either WFE371LVS0 or WFE371LVS1

24 ohms for the heating element is good... so it's probably ok.
Still going with the temperature sensor. The link has a diagnostic video in it.

Whirlpool Range/Stove/Oven Oven Sensor W10181986 Repair Clinic

Old 11-05-14, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, the full model # is WFE371LVS0, the last digit is off to the right several spaces. The sensor reads 1080 ohms at room temp, & increases when heated quickly with a flame, going back down on cooling. Given this & the fact that the element appears to be good, the trouble must be down to the control unit, correct?

Dan

Old 11-05-14, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
That sensor appears ok and does point to the control board as the issue.

Old 11-06-14, 11:08 AM
After I reconnected the temp sensor, the oven appears to work. Could be an issue with the connector. If it fails again I'll try soldering the connection. Thanks for taking the time to help with this, I appreciate it.

Dan

Old 11-06-14, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
It could very well be an intermittent connection either there at that lower plug and also where it plugs into the control board.