Clogged Maytag Neptune

Old 11-11-14, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clogged Maytag Neptune

Hi, I'm trying to fix my mother's washing machine. It's a Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW. It isn't draining the water. She had put a very small old rug in it and the thing basically fell apart, clogging it in the process (I'm assuming.) I have removed the water pump and both hoses but haven't found any actual cloggage. Not sure what to do next... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Usually just the pump gets clogged up. Either leave hose from tub to pump off and pour a cup of water in basket. Should pour out disconnected hose. If water comes out there than tub section is clear. Did the pump run when it was in drain? In console there is a tech sheet that will give you ways to put in test cycle. Should tell you how to run pump in test cycle. Been a couple of years since I have worked on that boat anchor.
Old rugs are death on washers.

Old 11-11-14, 07:36 PM
Appreciate the reply. I managed to fix the clog. It was located in the drain hose (link). Bad news though! It went through handwash/quick cycle and was draining well until near the end of the cycle. It finished up and there was water left over. There seems to be a clog again. I believe the barrel (I think that's the right word) is filled with crap. A lot of those little holes inside the washing machine (that drain the water) have dirt and crap coming out of them. How should I go about fixing this? Cheers

Old 11-11-14, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Your going to have to remove the pump again, clean the clog and try another cycle. You aren't going to want to pull out the spinner to clean the crap out.

I'm thinking I'd might try leaving the pump disconnected and try rinsing the crap out the sump.

Old 11-11-14, 10:35 PM
Where is the sump located?

Old 11-11-14, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
The sump is always the bottom. It's where the drain line connects the tub to the pump.

Old 11-12-14, 02:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old rug came apart you might have to this a couple of more times. Tell mom not to clean old rugs or any rugs.

Old 11-12-14, 02:45 PM
Sorry, still not sure what to do. How exactly do I rinse the crap out of the sump?

Old 11-12-14, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
the same way you did it the first time. Take hose off and you may have to clean pump again. The sump is the part under the 90 bend in hose from tub to pump. Usually called a coin trap.

Old 11-12-14, 03:08 PM
I've removed everything multiple times now to check for clogs. Nothing seems to be clogged; pump, drain line, etc. I removed some cloggage above the "tub to pump hose". It's a really tight/awkward spot though. I removed everything I could (I think I got it all.) However, the water will still not drain! Also, the water that fills is dirty... not sure if that is any help.

Old 11-12-14, 04:20 PM
Okay guys, so I think I almost got it! I removed one of the "fins" on the inside of the washing machine and was able to get access to the bottom of the barrel. I removed a huge clump of crap... looked like a dead rat lol. It drained really well but seems to have clogged up again. I suspect there is a clog at the pump now. Have to go out and do a few things so will look at it when I get back.