New GE dishwasher help

Old 11-15-14, 06:15 AM
New GE dishwasher help

Hi Forum,

We replaces our 10 year old GE dishwasher in July with a new one (also from GE). The appliance store salesperson told us we were getting a somewhat better model than the one we were replacing. Our problem is the new one often doesn’t dissolve the detergent pod and the dishes are not as clean as we would like (combination of both cloudiness and food remaining on dishes). We had been pleased with the cleaning performance of the old dishwasher and hope to be just as happy (or happies) with the new one.

Any thoughts on what our problem is and how to resolve it?

Many thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-14, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
The only time we have had poor performance with our dishwasher is when something is installed in the dishwasher that blocks door for the detergent from fully opening. Water never gets to the detergent and therefore it never dissolves. Is this the case, that the detergent door is located in a new area that may be blocked by your utensils or dishes?

You also want to verify that the arms are actually moving and getting water. Manually set all the washer arms to point directly at the door, straight out. Close the door and run the washer through a test cycle. Open the door and see that all arms have moved from the original position and are not still facing forward. If arms are not moving then you have a warranty issue.

Old 11-16-14, 07:14 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
Did you read the trouble shooting section in the back of the user manual? Very often you can solve your own problem. Also try running the hot water through your kitchen faucet 1st until it gets hot then turn on washer. Are you sure the hot water is hot enough coming from the tank (I know you said the old one was fine)? Have you had any other plumbing updates just prior to t he new dishwasher that might effect the operation? I suspect a water temp condition is at the root of the problem. Perhaps the heating coil is not functioning. As Czizzi says I'm betting on a warranty problem.

Old 11-16-14, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Water temperature does play an important role in dishwasher operation but you mentioned remaining food matter. It is important that the drain line be fastened high up and directly under the countertop.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 11-16-14, 08:55 AM
@PJmax,

As you can see my drain line travels high up but could be higher up. I will alter it so it is as high up as possible and directly under the countertop.

I am curious if the extra drain line is also problematic? The installer told me they are made long because some installations have the dishwasher located far from the drain. Should I alter the drain line to remove the extra length? If not is there a preferred way to position the extra line?

Name:  IMG_6134.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  28.4 KB

Many thanks,
Andy

Old 11-16-14, 09:41 AM
Your drain is high up, but to me that is not a true loop. Try to tie drain together with wire or cord and mount high behind sink or at side of sink using a hook or similar. Doesn't need to look pretty as long as it serves the purpose.
You can eliminate extra drain line, Only If:

You can separate it somewhere to where you still have the 7/8" I.D. rubber coupler that attaches to garbage disposer. Do not cut ribbed section of drain line. From pictures, I don't see an obvious point to do this.

Old 11-16-14, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Why are there two drain lines entering the picture ?
Do you have a vacuum break up on the sinktop ?

Did you connect the new drain line to the old one ?

Old 11-16-14, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Can you pull back a bit and give us a full look at the drains on the sink.

Old 11-16-14, 05:36 PM
Thanks all for the replies!
  • Just 1 drain lines entering from up high on the right, loops around the supply valve, then connects to the disposal on the left.
  • No vacuum break up (or air gap) on the sink top.
  • The installer did not connect the new drain line to the old one, the new dishwasher (or maybe it was the install kit came with a really long drain line).

I hope these pics do a better job showing you the situation.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  25.2 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  31.3 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  29.6 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  32.4 KB

Many thanks,
Andy

Old 11-17-14, 02:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
The loop should be high enough. Loop needs to be higher than water in dishwasher but higher the better. I see a coupler behind supply lines if so and the drain line is long enough You may be able to make connection to disposal at that point.

Old 11-17-14, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our problem is the new one often doesn’t dissolve the detergent pod and the dishes are not as clean as we would like
I agree about the drain hose being installed sloppy - But this has nothing to do with his problem as far as I am concerned. Have you verified my other suggestions to determine if your spray arms are all working?

Old 11-17-14, 05:45 AM
Also is you water hot enough? If your arms are rotating and the water is of sufficient temp then either the pod door is not opening at the right time or your heating element is not working. Warranty should be invoked.

Old 11-17-14, 04:37 PM
Ran the drain arm test today - with a full load. Got two data points:
  1. like 20 min into the cleaning cycle (my daughter opened the dishwasher to get a pizza cutter) - arms showed no signs to having rotated.
  2. half way into the drying cycle - middle arm shows signs of having rotated; bottom and top arm are still where i had positioned them. (come to think of it the middle arm could have been moved from being pulled out to get the pizza cutter and pushed back in)

Guess I'll call GE and schedule warranty service, should I run 1 more test (with the dishwasher empty) or is this not necessary?

Many thanks,
Andy

Old 11-17-14, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As suspected, call for warranty services. You washer is malfunctioning and is brand new.

Old 11-17-14, 06:04 PM
You could pull out the chopper assembly and see if something is blocking the circulating pump. Just did that this weekend to my son-in-law's washer. Pulled circulating pump. It felt smooth to hand spinning it. Pulled arm and inside assemble apart, cleaned chopper and unit worked perfect. However, he put the unit back into the cupboard cavity too quickly and had the water line sticking up. Vibration made it move and it shorted out the electrical system just this evening. He says sparks flew and water flowed onto the floor. The supply line was burned through. But unit is till working.

To get back to your problem, I'll bet something is blocking the water flow or preventing the pump from spinning. That chopper is being caught on something.

Old 11-18-14, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I personally would not recommend working on the unit yourself. Doing so may void the warranty and leave you without recourse.