New Washer/Dryer! Is this setup OK for venting?

Old 11-18-14, 06:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Washer/Dryer! Is this setup OK for venting?

So our old units are Whirlpools, no idea the models but one is a 7 cycle 2 speed 3.0 cu.ft. washer then the dryer. The washer started rusting out and they came with the home so it was time to upgrade as the dryer was also not drying as well as it should and clothes are not as clean as they can be.

We opted for a set of Samsung 7400 series HE top load washer and steam dryer. Significant size increase for washing now at 4.8 cu.ft. and steam drying is exciting since I have a lot of shirts and other items that I am not a fan of ironing.

Anyways, I have new stainless braided hoses coming and went to the store today to get some new dryer vent items. The original was the white vinyl hose in horrible shape with a straight shot out to the garage. I opted for a solid 4" snap lock duct and a new plastic vent with a single flap valve instead of the multiple flaps. I also picked up some foil tape and foam weatherstripping to help seal the new install. The old one was hanging by a single screw and standard duct tape.

It's not super elaborate but I just wanted to be sure I'm going about it the right way, total cost of under $25, thoughts?

Other options considered during this purchase were also top load HE's:
-LG with front controls
-Kenmore 28102
-Maytag Bravos XL
-Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum

Samsung set purchased, got a great deal at Home Depot after Sears, PC Richards, etc. could not compete. Sears was free delivery but wanted $10 per unit for haul away, then $49 dryer kit, and a whole load of other charges. PC was not even in the ballpark, and HD was offering an additional $50 for buying two appliances and truly free delivery/install/haul away.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-14, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Great idea nixing the white flex duct. The solid metal type is superior for performance and won't clog anywhere as easily.

Sounds like a good deal on the duo.

Old 11-18-14, 07:41 AM
C
$1198 out the door including taxes so it worked out pretty well. I read that the solid pipe was a better bet and since it's all over maybe 20" to the garage from the back of the dryer it would fair better. Probably one of the reasons why the current dryer was doing so poorly as of late.

Old 11-18-14, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Nice machines but most of my customer say they hardly use steam option. Works good tho.

Old 11-18-14, 08:29 AM
C
The steam was something my wife really liked the idea of. Freshening up her work clothes or my button downs and what not. I may try it out but am definitely spending some time with the manual tonight. Since there are so many different settings with HE and the dryer too I want to be sure I'm using the right one for the load.

Old 11-20-14, 08:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
The plastic flex duct was never correct for use with a dryer. It doesn't have the fire resistance needed.