Should I return Kenmore washing machine I just bought???

Old 11-21-14, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I return Kenmore washing machine I just bought???

Ok, here is the deal.

I bought a new Kenmore top load washing machine a couple of days ago. It is model #25132. Here is the Sears link to it.

Sears.com

I ran the first load of clothes through it and it is what I consider very noisy. When it goes through any agitation movement it sounds like metal rubbing together. Now I have not bought a washer in about 20 years and have just been repairing my old Kenmore whenever it broke. I would be surprised to know that this is a normal noise for a new washing machine. It would seem to me that a newer designed machine would be quieter not louder.

There is a Service Tech coming this morning to look at it and tell me if the sound is normal or if something is wrong with it. My question to you guys is this. Should I stick with this model or should I just return it and get a different model? I am leaning toward returning it and getting a different model no matter what the service guy tells me. Here is my thinking. If he says the noise is normal then it is too loud for what I want. If he says that something is wrong with it and suggests that I exchange it for another just like it then am I just getting a washer that is not a good choice and is going to fail in a couple of years? I am looking at returning it and giving the GE top loader model number GTWN4250DWS a try. Here is the link to that one.

Sears.com

I have had good luck with Kenmore (Whirlpool) for many years but I know that a lot of stuff just isn't made as good as it used to be. I definitely want a top load washer. I want a larger capacity size. And I am trying to stay away from as much electronic gadgetry as possible. I work as an industrial maintenance troubleshooter in a manufacturing industrial plant so I know how much electronic stuff fails and how expensive it is to replace. I like simple and don't need all the bells and whistles.

So if you guys have an opinion or any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-14, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As an added note. The Kenmore is one of the "HE" models that does not have an aggitator and the GE model has an agitator. If all "HE" models that don't have agitators make noise like this one, I wouldn't consider it an advancement.

Old 11-21-14, 01:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Almost all new washers will be HE. (High Efficiency ) Thank EPA. Your washer will sound different than any you have had, But should not have any medal sounds. I think Sears will take washer back within 30 days of purchase. If sound is normal you may be charged for a service call.
I would not touch a GE with a 10 foot pole. Your washer is built by Whirlpool. The GE is a quieter washer.