Kenmore dryer doesn't heat. Everything tests O.K.

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-14, 12:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore dryer doesn't heat. Everything tests O.K.

Hi Guys,

I have a Kenmore dryer model 110.61202011 that will not heat and I can't figure out what the problem might be. The dryer spins and operates normally minus any heat. The vents are clean of lint and the airflow is great. I've tested the following (photo attached) -

- Terminal voltage at 120/120 & 240 volts
- Thermal Fuse continuity
- Heating Element continuity and visual inspection for breakage.
- High Limit, Cycling, & that additional thermostat at the top of the image for continuity

Additionally, after plugging/unplugging starting/stopping and testing the heating element did come on normally once.

I'm at a loss now and would appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks a bunch!

Name:  dryer.jpg
Views: 10094
Size:  28.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-14, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
In console there is a wiring diagram. Follow the heater circuit from timer to cut out thermostat (red wire) unplug wire turn dryer on should get 120 volts there. leave unplugged and check voltage at thermostat also should be 120. If thermostat side does not have 120 could be motor or other side of timer circuit. easier to do than explain. Usual reasons for no heat is upper thermostat or heater. In over 10 years think have found something else about 5 times.

Old 11-25-14, 01:23 PM
T
Pugsi,

I see what you're saying but I'm not feeling confident in ordering either one of these parts yet. I'm getting continuity on the heating element and just for testing, I've bypassed the upper thermostat. It's driving me batty but I'm still looking.

Old 11-25-14, 02:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 11-25-14, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thermostats and heater element all should have continuity. If either open it's bad. check from heater to ground should be open. Heater can ground out and cause low heat.

Old 11-25-14, 03:53 PM
F
I'm betting on a faulty timer as this dryer has one of those junk timers that fail all the time. Easy to confirm with voltage checks though.

Whirlpool W10186032 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-26-14, 06:31 AM
T
[SLOVED] I know this problem is probably more rare than usual but I wanted to post the specifics and hopefully it can help someone save time in the future. The problem did turn out to be a faulty contact in the timer (see pics). The symptoms were intermittent heating and finally no heating.

You may be able to test this by applying pressure in and down on the timer shaft which may cause the contacts to temporarily engage and the heating element to come on.

Since I didn't want to pay $75 - $120 for a new timer at the moment I was able to bend the leg of the furthest contact. This allows a connection and will most likely give this timer another year or so of life.

As a note of caution be careful when turning the timer upside-down as the plastic arms/contacts may fall out.

Name:  dryer1.jpg
Views: 6775
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  dryer2.jpg
Views: 8678
Size:  30.5 KB

Old 11-26-14, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You also might file contacts with a emery board. Usually contacts get pitted.

Old 11-26-14, 06:42 AM
T
Pugsi, I'm sure this would also help but in this case the contacts were worn to the point that a mechanical connection wasn't being made.

Additionally, to test this without opening the timer:

- Set timer to a position/cycle that should produce heat
- Remove 4-pin connector on the back of the timer.
- Test the outer two spade connectors on the back of the timer. There should be continuity.

Last edited by TronPlayer; 11-26-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 12:16 PM
F
I know this problem is probably more rare than usual
Not rare, but actually quite common with this type of timer. Junk! They fail all the time. I would suggest replacing it though as there is over 20 amps of current going through this set of contacts with heat element on. If the contacts are in bad shape, it's going to overheat due to the resistance of the poor contact surfaces.

Old 12-30-15, 06:48 AM
L
Kenmore repair

I read through what the poster stated, as I have the same model. I had trouble shooted the dryer till I was blue in the face. After finding this, I decided to pull the timer and inspect. Sure enough exact same thing contacts were pitted burnt. For a short fix I took 1500 grit to clean up the points. Ran dryer with two loads of clothes and it drying like it did when I first got it. The timer will be replaced, though I fear it probably will last about a year. That how long the original lasted.

The issue was 2 or 3 dry cycles to get the clothes dry. Thanks to the person who posted this with the follow up. I would have never checked that timer. In my view very poor quality !

Old 12-30-15, 07:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usual reason for more than 1 cycle to dry clothes is a clogged dryer vent to outside.

Old 10-26-17, 11:02 AM
M
I realize this is a very old post however; I did exactly what you had done according to the pictures posted and thank you! I had the same issue and it works like a champ now! Just FYI, I am a female over 40 that knows NOTHING about appliances but was able to fix the issue from your posts based on a little Google search. Thanks again!

Old 10-26-17, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks that is why post are open for all to read.

Old 03-27-18, 08:49 AM
J
Same thing here...tonight's the night for repair

Old 03-27-18, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
If you need additional assistance.... please start a new thread with make, model and the problem you are having.

Closed Thread