Vent Bosch Range Hood on Outside Wall - Height Issue?

Old 11-26-14, 04:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent Bosch Range Hood on Outside Wall - Height Issue?

Hoping someone can come to our rescue here, as even my builder is stumped, and that always worries me. Purchased a new Bosch range hood for the kitchen in our new home a while ago, thinking there would not be an issue installing.

Our cooktop is on an outside wall so the idea was to vent this outside, and not through the ceiling. Here's the issue:

The wall hole for the vent, even with a high ceiling, was cut a while ago at a standard height, and it doesn't seem high enough for the Bosch to vent out of (even if it was almost at the ceiling). In looking at the hood, the duct needs to push up at least a couple feet or so before hitting the air flaps, then can turn 90 degrees towards the outside.

We'd almost need to take the duct piece (with the flaps) fully off and immediately bend 90 degrees to go out the wall to have this hood at the proper height. Not sure if we are doing something wrong or if it's just made assuming you are going to have a few feet above the hood to go up before you exit out of the wall instead of the ceiling.

If anyone has run into this before, and has any ideas, please let me know, we could really use the help. I'll have pics later too, just gotta run back to my build site and shoot them.

Thanks again for reading and any assistance.

B.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-14, 06:23 AM
I'm having a hard time picturing where this hole is cut in wall.

Here are standards:
Top of Hood Combo (Bottom of upper cabinet) needs to be at least 30" above cooking surface.
Hood Combo can be vented through top or directly out the back. (Blower will be rotated for which option you choose).
If you plan to vent out the top: Based on my info of 30" to top of oven, where does the hole measure in relation to top of Combo?
Also if the flap you refer to is the damper attached to top of combo, I see no reason why it would need to be removed. Do not remove the damper.

Old 11-28-14, 05:32 AM
B
Brian,

So kind of you to reply. Sorry for the delay, it's been hectic up there plus the holidays too.

As for the hole, it is cut probably about 2 feet down from the ceiling on the back wall. The piece that came with the range hood that had the damper assumed the range hood could go up another foot before exiting out. There is already a damper on the piece that exits through the wall to the outside, so the damper in the exit duct would have been a second damper. The only thing the builder could do is find a piece of duct with a very quick bend to go up and directly out from the range hood -- So there's no second damper in it, but it gets him to the exit hole in the back wall while allowing him to mount the range hood at the proper height.

Not sure if that makes a lot of sense, I forgot to grab pictures when I was at the build site, but I can grab some today. Really if you think it's okay that there is just the one damper in the hole going from the wall to the outside, but no damper in the ductwork connecting the hood to the outhole, I guess we are okay, though it doesn't seem what Bosch intended since the part they included is now not being used.

Though if we did use Bosch's part, the exit hole would have needed to be basically all the way at the top of a 9 foot ceiling in the wall, just to accommodate the height plus the bend.

Old 11-28-14, 06:52 AM
I guess I need to see pictures. This shouldn't be hard at all. The damper that attaches to oven output needs to be used. This should be a simple matter of connecting 3.25 x 10 duct to oven and using transitions to get it aligned with hole in wall.

Old 11-28-14, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Read this both times , Couple of questions 1 is this a free standing hood with no microwave? 2 is this a wall mounted unit or a middle of room unit? Pictures of wall and unit would help.

Old 11-28-14, 08:57 AM
Good point Pugs.....

I don't know why I assumed this was a Micro/Hood. Let's see some pictures, this changes things if it is a Vent Hood, suspended or wall mounted. They can be tough to mount and are not user friendly.

Old 11-28-14, 11:33 AM
B
Hi guys,

Sorry for being unclear. You are correct, it is ONLY a vent hood, not a vent/micro combination. As of today, they are cutting new holes in my wall and patching to find a way to move the hole in the wall higher. It seems that even though this vent hood is capable of venting out a ceiling, we had it on an outside wall so had assumed it could vent out the wall just fine. We were wrong.

I think they are going to figure it out but it was amazing to see just how high up the wall they had to put the hole in order to get the vent hood at the proper height above the cooktop.

I will get some pics still later, but I'm sort of hoping they figure it out by then, though I was bummed to see new holes cut in my house and siding and figure that's never a great thing, but hopefully they can cover it up and hide the patch.

Old 11-28-14, 01:15 PM
It sounds like this is a wall mounted hood, with no cabinet above.... Just a cover for the duct.

If this is the case I'm not surprised they are having trouble. I have never installed one that went according to instructions. The lengths of duct "cover" they provide, and the way duct needs to connect to blower assembly, makes it almost impossible to do it the way designed.

Have siding fixed now while you have the chance. Inside cuts are no biggie.

Old 12-30-14, 07:03 PM
B
As usual, I am just coming here to say this forum is awesome.

The attention and information I got was spot on, so thank you all for that.

You were absolutely correct, no cabinet above, and the idea was that the hood exhaust right out the back wall into the outside, with a cover in front going up to the ceiling.

After making extensive cuts to the siding and the inside wall, they have us all patched up and installed it. But you were totally right, it was a pain in the butt for them to do it that way vs. a traditional "up into the ceiling" exhaust for sure. Had I knew that it would be a pain I'd have configured it that way from the start. I actually (foolishly) thought venting out through the side wall would be easier! Hah!