Freezer Cold But Refrigerator Warm

Old 11-29-14, 08:58 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freezer Cold But Refrigerator Warm

Hi everyone, I have a Kenmore 253.73894300 fridge. The freezer was cold but the fridge was warm. I took the back plate off the freezer and the evaporator was covered in ice. I tested the ohms in the thermostat and heating element and both have continuity. I began to try to test the defrost timer but I'm a bit confused because I've never tested anything with a capacitor... I have an Innova 3300 multimeter... am I unable to test with this multimeter? Is there another way to test the timer? Or are there any other culprits to my original problem? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-14, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
You have a Kenmore branded Frigidaire unit that uses an adaptive defrost board. It's not really a timer. It's a board that monitors the defrost characteristics of your fridge and controls the defrost times.

In the following link.... there is a description of how to put the board into defrost. See if that works with your fridge. Follow the Frigidaire instructions.

Adaptive Defrost Information | Appliance Aid

Old 11-30-14, 05:36 AM
G
Hi, I researched this earlier but I cannot find this adaptive control anywhere. This is what I have:

Amazon.com: 215846606 REFRIGERATOR DEFROST TIMER REPAIR PART FOR FRIGIDAIRE, ELECTROLUX, KENMORE AND MORE: Appliances

Pretty sure this is the timer.

Old 11-30-14, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
That is a timer. If you have that in your fridge then you don't have the adaptive control board.
It's one or the other.

There should be a slot in that timer where you can turn it with a screwdriver and put it into defrost.

That timer should go into defrost every 8 hours for 20-30 minutes.

Old 11-30-14, 04:32 PM
G
But why wasn't it going into defrost by itself? And is there a way to test the timer without a multimeter? Or do I just hook it back up and see if it works?

Old 11-30-14, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
There should be a slot in that timer where you can turn it with a screwdriver and put it into defrost.
The timer has a mechanical motor that operates the timer. Just like a wall clock. If that timer motor is defective... the timer won't switch automatically.

The fridge should not work with the defrost timer unplugged.

Name:  timer.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  32.9 KB